Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by lilypet | A year ago
Re: Morrisons read meter

I have  also received one of these letters.  After reading other comments I will not be contacting Scottish Power it is up to them to tell me what this is all about plus how did this data company get my full name and address?????

posted by Jonnel | A year ago
Unfortunately, our contracts with Scottish Power allow them to share our details with external 'metering and meter reading services' and you HAVE to agree with this to use Scottish Power.The GDPRs are a little misunderstood by the general public. Basically, all the new regulations have brought in is greater transparency in WHO companies share our information with, not controlling whether they can or not - there's still nothing to stop a company from putting what they like in the contractual small print that no-one ever reads. I got mine from Scottish Power on 24th May. There's a bit in there about keeping your data safe, but you've probably noticed most of the e-mails you've been getting recently from firms who have your details just say they're 'updating our terms' rather than 'can we share your details?' It's a sad fact of life but... the devil's in the small print.

posted by JenH | A year ago

....and another thing (sorry - on my soapbox!) whatever money Scottish Power are paying Morrisons to do whatever it is they are doing, they should be saving themselves that cost and passing it on to their loyal customers!!

posted by bigh01 | A year ago

Why are Scottish power sending meter readers from a 3rd party (Morrisons) to my house to read my meter, when I read my own?

As requested by email I input the details online, They also asked to read my gas meterwhen my gas is from Scottish Gas & not Scottish Power. I refused entry to my house & I am rather angry as no notice was given regarding this.

posted by Jonnel | A year ago

You might find this interesting... If you go on Morrison Data Services website, in the bottom left hand corner of their homepage is a link to their GDPR policy. They have posted as their GDPR information what looks like an internal paper from January this year setting out what they need to do to comply with the EU GDPRs due to come into force May of this year. Interesting to note they say this:

"The key risk areas for Morrison Data Services are two fold; managing our own staff data securely, and
just as importantly managing personal information that we process on behalf of our clients. "

One would have hoped they would have valued OUR details' security before their own staff, seeing as THEY work for US...

posted by v46 | 9 months ago
I have just received one of these letters. Doesn't even mention Scottish power!! Looks very dodgy, just a gas ref no. I too have only just submitted readings on my account. Why were we not notified this was going to happen? Just looks like some scam arriving out of the blue!! I am going to ignore. Would like to know how you get on please.

posted by Davc | 9 months ago

There are a lot of discussions about Morrisons. You can ignore them if you send readings direct to SP. MDS is a large reputable company working on contract to SP. 

posted by Jerry_clark | 8 months ago

Got a card from morrison data too. The meter reference numbers are nothing like the numbers on the meters so just going to ignore them and see what happens.

posted by mommabear | 8 months ago

i too have just recieved a letter from a data service, saying urgent action required about meter reading, doesnt even mention scottish power just your energy supplier, i have just paid my bill , i do it online along with meter readings, last person who came to read meter was very rude insisting he came in to read my meter an check it , they are not corgi registerd to inspect a meter have no tools on them so how can they do this, also when i said i do it online , came his reply so i still have to check , i was on my way out at this point trying to explain i had an appointment but he didnt budge, what is this all about and why are they so rude

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 8 months ago

@mommabear  If it's for the gas meter, then the meter reader is right. You DO have to let them in to read it, but if there's no specific problem with your supply/billing/payments etc, you only have to let them in to read the meter ONCE A YEAR.

It's part of the GAS ACT 1986 that suppliers have to have one of their 'agents' do a manual reading once a year to fulfill the obligations of their licence to supply. It's in the small print of your contract with them and you tacitly agreed to it by accepting supply from them.

Having said that, the onus is on you to ask the meter reader for his ID and call whichever firm he says he's representing BEFORE you let him in. I wouldn't just accept an ID someone on the doorstep waves at you on face value - photo-editing software is pretty good these days...

The rudeness is another thing entirely.