Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to a home which has two meters. A year later, still not solved

posted by sniederb | A month ago

Hi all

We moved to a new home August last year. This property happens to have to meters. The previous owner says he had two accounts with ScottishPower. I've been trying on and off for the past year to find a SP rep. who's capable of basically copy/pasting the previous owner's setup to our own. So far, no success. I've been told repeatedly that a property can only ever have 1 meter, one rep. was about to book a job because "you have to remove this meter".

Does anyone in the community have more than one meter on their property? Any advice how to proceed?

Thanks, Simon

4 comments

posted by DavC1 | A month ago
Re: Moved to a home which has two meters. A year later, still not solved

@sniederb   Can you tell what each of the two meters is doing?  You could check by switching on a high-usage appliance like  a fan heater, and see which meter reacts.  Do both meters record units every day?  Is one meter only activated at night?  You need to find out a lot more about the setup before you ask to have a meter removed.  

If one of the meters never records anything you are safe in asking for it to be removed physically, and also removed from SP's data.

@DavC1, thanks for the reply. From the regular meter readings I can tell that both meters are in use; removing one is not an option (imho). The previous owner was able to get two accounts with SP, I'm still failing to understand why an SP agent can't do the same for us.
(The newer of the two meters is in an extension of the property. I can't say why the additional meter was installed then, but I'm sure there was a good reason)

Top answer

posted by DavC1 | A month ago
  • @sniederb   A property extension does explain having two meters.   You need to keep trying Customer Service until you find someone to help. Trouble is unless you put both meters on the same account you will pay two lots of standing charges.   Also as long as SP will not accept one of the readings you are building up a nasty surprise debt to be paid later. 

Thanks @DavC1, that's what I was expecting, yet hoping to avoid. I've been nagging Customer Service now since a year, and it's exactly that nasty surprise I'm worried about. But your reply has brought some new motivation to keep going Smiley Happy