Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outstanding debt of £330.10 on pay as you go

posted by GR30 | 6 months ago

Hello all,

I have recently moved house and changed energy supplier and got my final letter in from SP saying that I have the aforementioned bill still to pay for my electricity (Gas is in £25 credit).

This had occured nearly 3 years ago where they sent me a similar bill. As it turns out it was from a previous tennant who racked up a bill. I then had to get my landlord at the time to call them (with my permission) and enquire about this. From what I remember is that a code had to be sent out for the new tennant, which didn't happen, and that I had to just go to my local shop with the key and it would register. All done.

Fastforward to now and I get a letter in from SP to my new address saying that I have a bill of £330.10 still to pay for my electricity. I imagine that the previous tennant might have had a direct debit set up with them because I don't understand how I can rack up a bill on a pay as you go tariff.

I'm just waiting on a callback from SP and was just wanting to know if something similar has happened to anyone else, and if so how it got resolved.

Thank you for reading.

4 comments

posted by DaveD | 6 months ago
Re: Outstanding debt of £330.10 on pay as you go
Hmm..I assume it's still a pay as you go meter then being able to build a debt of that is somewhat confusing. See what they say but be prepared for a frank discussion.

DaveD

Yeah, it has always been a PAYG meter for me.

I got a call back, they'll check the archives, gave me a reference, and will call me back within a week.

And yes. What is certain is that I'm not paying for someone else's debt. I just want my name removed from it completely and given to the person who was responsible.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

From what you say it is a historic debt from an old tennant. This happens a lot, but SP should be able to clear you from any involvement.  Anyone taking on a new PAYG should always register as a new tennant with no connection to previous users.

Yeah.

Strange thing is that me and my landlord called then about 3 years ago and it apparently got sorted; guess not.

It's comforting to know that, like you said, this isn't that uncommon. Hopefully they sort it soon. Thanks for responding.