Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Pre payment emergency

posted by rnormans84 | 7 days ago
Hi, just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation, and if you have any more info than I do.

I am on a prepayment meter for my electricity account - and currently have no income due to the Coronavirus outbreak. I have two young children and my partner has an ongoing heart condition. Scottish Power are aware of this and we are classed as high risk (not allowed to be cut off)
We have activated our emergency credit, have a few pounds left and will be cut off imminently when this runs out.

I contacted the usual number yesterday, and was directed by an automated message, to a different emergency prepayment number. Spoke to someone who took my details and advised to expect a call back within the hour. The call back never came. I rang agin this morning to find the emergency prepayment line has been closed - the only advice being to contact Western Power emergency number. I did so, they read me a prepared script from Scottish Power - advising me to contact the prepayment emergency number.

I understand this situation we all find ourselves in is unprecedented, and that Scottish Power don’t have any procedures in place as yet for a national emergency such as this. But what am I meant to do? I need to keep my children, and my wife warm and healthy.

I have emailed, tweeted and private messaged Scottish Power on Facebook, to no avail. With no one to contact and the only advice being to read the online help centre - I’m starting to feel like we have been ‘thrown to the dogs’

Apologies for the long post, I am just getting a little stressed that we are going to be without power for any length of time. My partner does not rely on medical equipment for her heart - but I hate to think there are people in a similar situation who absolutely do need constant supply.
8 comments

posted by Davc | 7 days ago
Re: Pre payment emergency

@rnormans84   Sorry to hear about your problem which you described very clearly.   SP are obviously struggling to cope with this situation if they have even closed the PAYG emergency number.    Things change from day to day and we all hope that some order and organisation will return soon.   Meantime if there is a danger of being cut off I would be prepared to borrow money to ensure continuation.  I know this is not satisfactory but it may be your only way of handling the situation for the time being.

In this forum we are customers giving advice and we have no contact with SP management so we can only make suggestions. 

Highlighted

posted by rnormans84 | 7 days ago
Thanks for the advise.

Since posting this topic, the emergency line has been reopened, incase anyone else is facing a similar situation to mine. The number to contact is; ‭0141 652 5550‬

Call backs within the hour
Highlighted

posted by daneli | 6 days ago
Lines closed again.

We are pre payment and want to top up by phone as we are self-isolating. Can this be done?
Highlighted

posted by aprilshurmer92 | 6 days ago
My electric key has stopped working and is about to run out. How can I get a code for a new key
Highlighted

posted by aaronhenry | 6 days ago
I’m kinda in the same boat I had to buy loads of food whilst I could because I’m high risk now my metre is low and no money to top up when it goes I’ve lost internet cooking etc can’t sp just give us a code to use and put debt in later?
Highlighted

posted by ChrisC90 | 6 days ago

We are in the same boat. We're on a prepayment meter and managed to top up our gas 2 days ago on the emergency phone line, but it hasn't gone onto our meter and now the line is closed, and we're about to run out today. We also need to top our electricity up, also about to run out today. My partner is 32 weeks pregnant with asthma and we're isolating. No reply on twitter or email, but need emergency help so we don't get cut off!

Highlighted

posted by rnormans84 | 6 days ago
An update, for those who have said you are in a similar position.

I never received my call back, that’s two days running I was promised one but never got it. My emails and tweets were unanswered. However my Facebook private message, direct to Scottish Power, sent at 08:44 was responded to at 12:58 with the offer of advance credit. I had the credit by 15:00

Could be worth a try if you still can’t get through. Don’t wait for a call back as they have such a huge backlog it seems they are not getting through to everyone. Even if you are on the ‘priority services register’

Glad it was sorted out, but being a priority case and no call backs 2 days running, if I hadn’t tried the FB message I would still be in the same boat, except by now we would have been cut off...
Highlighted

posted by mark_iow | 5 days ago
I have just done a similar thread. Been waiting 2 days for call back, disabled, high risk with sp and now out if electric an in tears as can't get help as mother is 70 and lives hours away anyway but she is high risk disabled. So unfair as woke up after waiting first day to find electric gone past my -£5 emergency but due to disavow don't sleep well. Watching tv at 2am and now the electric has totally turned off. I have money in a post office account I can not access. My debt in meters -£8 roughly now but I will pay what ever when I'm allowed to travel etc. Even had to have food bank deliver food to outside front door today. My life lines my heat and my phone for if my health deteriorated but I only have 24% battery life left in my phone now. I can't wash. Can't cook. Can't keep warm and not had even my flu jab this year. Surely it would be easy to put the system in a constant weekend basis for now till things sort themselves out. They can out the debt on our meters to repay so their not gonna lose anything ( unless we die from the cold or starvation if for not having a phone line to call 999. My nearest neighbor is too far for me to get to