Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems since Smart Meters installed Can anyone help??

posted by Shady | 7 months ago

I've been a Scottish power customer since I bought my house in August 2000.  Everything was fine until the dreaded Smart meters were installed on 20th February 2018. The in house display worked for a couple of weeks then stopped.  Customer service told me to start providing meter readings again as this was a known problem with no resolution.  So after having to ask how to provide the gas reading, I tried to submit them. However, when I logged in to my account to submit them, it was showing 3 meters, 2 were my new gas & electricity, and the 3rd was one of the old meters and I couldn’t submit my reading until I put something next to the old meter too! It wouldn’t let me put zeros though so I had to input the last number each time.  There was a change in numbers so I don’t understand why if it wasn’t in my house anymore.  Prior to the smart meter installation, I used to get my bill with both gas & electricity showing. After the meters, I started receiving a bill which only showed gas.  This kept happening until I contacted the brilliant customer service (being sarcastic here!!) in October. I then received a huge bill in October which covered February to October charges for electricity!  THEN, I went online to check my energy usage as the display has been flung in a drawer since February, and when I clicked on Smart Consumption in the ENERGY USAGE GRAPH and clicked on Gas, apparently I didn’t use any gas at all from March to September but October showed £202.16 made up of £184.60 just  on the 19th!!! Now bear in mind, I was receiving bills for Gas and NOT electricity and according to the graph, I wasn’t using gas. I have a combi boiler so hot water including showering uses gas and my family and I have definitely been showering every day from March to September!!   I’ve now been told my direct debit is increasing yet again based on my usage.  I’m praying it’s a system generated thing and if a human being based in Britain actually looked at it they could hopefully reassure me that it is all due to the problems with the amazing smart meters that require constant meter readings submitted and not me using what equates to nearly 2 months’ worth of gas in one day!  Is there anyone based in the UK that can have a look at my account make sure I am not being overcharged based on false information?  Any help would be appreciated.

7 comments

posted by Davc | 7 months ago
Re: Problems since Smart Meters installed Can anyone help??

Hi, terrible tale, do not take any notice of what your IHD says about costs, they have recently been going wrong for many people. Your ‘old’ meter input box should by now have been removed from the online account.  Keep reading your smart meters and sending in the data until it is clear that they are working and sending data automatically. Your bills are the only true indication of costs and if they are looking weird you should challenge SP.  Because you are sending manual readings the bills should always be shown labelled actual not estimated. 

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

Also, to follow-up, the online energy summary is as unreliable as the IHD at the moment, This has been reported a lot recently. So print out copies of your actual bills and see if they make sense. 

posted by Shady | 6 months ago
It seems to be working now and taking smart readings regularly but I will definitely be keeping an eye on it and checking my bills. Thanks for the help! X

posted by realMacD | 6 months ago
I am leaving Scottish power due in part to the smart meter fiasco where my account was over one thousand pounds in credit due to my monthly bills going up and this was despite me calling and saying my usage has not changed nor had my circumstances but they insisted it was forecasted billing based on my usage and everything would level out. I asked for a refund over the phone and was told I would have to apply online via my account. I did this and ....... five weeks later not having had a response called back and guess what?,,,,, told again to re-aply on line. In between times I raised an official complaint about the meters and the poor customer services. This ended up with all that credit being amazingly whittled down to zero credit and all the money was incredibly accounted for with dates and Kw usage. Do I think some sort of mathematical magic was being done - yes I do, do i trust this set up, No I don't. Is there transparency?? No there is not. Is there accountability ?? No there's not, not in my case anyway. I got a call from Dave at the 'Win Back' team on 19/12/2018 asking why I was leaving ??? what a joke, not him he was very pleasant but Scottish Power. I have been a customer since 1995!!!!!! and he had no idea of my history let alone recent events. So as a customer do I feel Valued, considered, respected, appreciated ---- Nah, not one bit. All the win back rep could say was "I can only apologise". Yes i should have switched a long time ago, I've made the move on a comparison site and its so easy. I have saved hundreds on my annual dual duel bill. So now it will be very interesting to see how long it will take to get my refund, as I am again very much in credit!!!! , I'll tell you what though, it won't be as efficiently refunded as my monthly direct debit being increased!!! . So my phone call with the 'Win Back team' was recorded as was highlighted twice during the conversation, not due to any bad manners or raised voices there was no reason for that but I as I said to Dave I would be disappointed if it wasn't recorded and to please please share with management, sorry aye the people in the office who might want to. Well best of luck Shady.

posted by jobob | A month ago

we had a fire at our home on 6th november 2016it was an electrical fire in the garage all the eletrical installations were burnt out and we were not in reisence from 6th november 2016 until june 22nd 2017 as the house had to be rewired ect ectwe had new meters installed for gas and electric the electric meter is a smart meter and the gas meter should be a smart meter as well but it has not been connected as such and i have to take manual readings from it i have reported this factabout 4 times and have had variuose dates given me as when scottish ower are coming to sort this out the last one was 4th march2019 wegot a phone call saying that it had been cancelled again this is the forth time it has happenedand we have stayed in waiting for your people tpo come and sort this gas meter out before the fire i was on this tariff and my payments were £52-00 per month since you have fitted these new meters it has gone up from that to the resent one which has climed to £76-00 per month i would appreciate someone sorting this outASAPyou have all my details please replyas this getting past a joke mr r.w.robertson acc no 33019451013

posted by Davc | A month ago
Hello jobob. Sorry to hear your problem. Energy costs have gone up a lot in 2019 and if you are paying in the 70s a month it is quite a low bill. You need to look at your tariff and p/ kWh to understand what is happening, probably nothing to do with the smart meter. I would stick with the gas manual readings for now, gas meters give a lot of problems of connectivity and reading ease.

posted by Davc | A month ago

Hello again jobob I forgot to say SP will not reply to you from this forum, if you want them to take action you have to tell customer services.