Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Are Scottish Power the hardest Company ever to try and get to speak to?

posted by Sarah12 | A year ago

We are landlords of a property (Shop with flat above) where the tenants of the flat are currently being supplied by Scottish Power.  I also have an historic on-line account with Scottish Power for the void periods between tenancies so we are known to them.  The shop which has a Leaseholder running it is currently closed for refurbishment.  The meters for both the shop and flat are in the basement of the shop and now that the shop is closed, we are experiencing all sorts of problems with trying to access the meters (day/night) for the flat to read for billing.  Our new tenants like to pay their bills monthly with actual meter readings.  We have therefore decided to have a replacement electricity supply put in by Western Power Distribution (at some considerable cost) and for the meters for the flat to be relocated to be placed behind the front door of the flat which will be so much more convenient to both the tenants and us.  Because the flat has two meters including economy 7 Western Power Distribution have said that they cannot relocate the meters and that only the current supplier is able to do this.  

The tenants are delighted that we are doing this work but we now have as serious problem since Scottish Power refuse to speak to me as I'm not the accountholder and will only take an instruction affecting a property that we own from the tenant.  Crazy or what?? The female Billing person I spoke to last Friday got really unpleasant and finally hung up on me after having said that the only way round this was to get the tenant/account holder to ring them and put my name on the account as well and then they will speak to me.  Our tenants are Spanish with a reasonably good grasp of English and Maria (the accountholder) did as I asked and phoned them midday yesterday and she sent me an email to confirm that she had done so.  

I have today tried to speak to Scottish Power yet again having had to arrange yet another call back as they are so busy, and spoke to a person who was intercepting the calls because of the high call volumes coming through for Billing.  I explained the position all over again that I wished to arrange for a Scottish Power Engineer to call on Thursday 24 May at midday to move the meters from the basement of the Shop and relocated it to behind the front door of the flat.  I also explained that all this was being organised through Western Power Distribution and that they would be doing the preparatory cabling work on the previous day and that we had our own electrician doing the necessary rewiring work in the flat itself so that all this could be connected seamlessly on the day.  I also explained that our tenant the accountholder had requested that my name be added to the account. He then put me on hold to speak to Billing only to be told that they refused to speak to me as they had no details of my name or contact details on the account and no record that Maria had phoned yesterday!!  AAGH!!!

I have never come across such a rediculous state of affairs where we as landlords have no rights over our own property and yet a tenant who is on a six month shorthold tenancy and who may well not be there in three months time can determine what happens within our property.  I can well understand that I would have to demonstrate that I have made the tenant aware of our plans and ensured minimum disturbance to them but to be put in this position where they won't even acknowledge that we have any rights at all is absolutely outrageous.   I'm getting to the end of my tether now as I don't know what else I'm expected to do when our tenant has already done what I've asked her to do and asked her to add me to her account.   It was suggested today by the chap I spoke to that perhaps I could set up a conference call between myself, Maria and Scottish Power.  Maria is currently still working and I pointed out that I have never yet managed to get Scottish Power to answer the phone without having to arrange a call back so I have no idea how I'm supposed to do this.  The other suggestion was to ask Maria to phone Scottish Power again to arrange for them to visit to move the meters which is what I have finally resorted to do by sending her a long email explaining as best I can but I'm worried that with the language problem, there may be some issues and also if they ask her any unexpected questions about the job she won't have the knowledge to reply. 

Has anyone else experienced this sort of dilema and if so how did they get round it?

13 comments
Highlighted

posted by John5543 | A year ago

I have found it impossible to get the staff to answer the phone

Highlighted

posted by John5543 | A year ago

their automatic recorded messages are infuriating and I am concidering switching to another company

Highlighted

posted by sholt100 | 12 months ago

Have spent 5 days trying to speak to someone at SP with no success.  I am trying to switch suppliers but they have refused to allow it but have not written to me or emialed me to explain why.  Currently in £250 credit with them.  I have instructed my bank to stop the direct debits....Good bye Scottish Power

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 12 months ago

Hello sholt Normally the reason to refuse a switch is if you owe SP money, what was the date of your last statement with the credit? Maybe you should put in a reading to get an up to date bill an d that would unblock the move. No excuse though for being hard to get through to discuss the matter. 

Highlighted

posted by Charliehearts | 12 months ago
Email saying unable to process switch to another provider. Said they have written to us and emailed this letter and is available on my account.....nothing there. Cannot get through by phone to speak to anyone as to why. We are in credit with them so don't owe money. This is the second time I have tried to switch and they have blocked it. It's our legal right to switch provider so why wont they do this?
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 12 months ago

Hi Charlie. Log into your internet account, click your logo icon top right, look for My Messages, open it and you should see the email. 

Highlighted

posted by ajw | 12 months ago

i am on the phone at the moment trying to get through. i have waited 2 hours for a call back only to be put back in thje queue and then being cut off. i need t speak to someone about my direct debit soon.

Highlighted

posted by Julian123 | 4 months ago

I have been trying to contact them for the last few days. I will be moving soon, and i dont think i will stay with them in the future.

posted by whiteowl | 4 months ago

Try to phone them  at 8am, the last 2 times i did this and they answed within 2mins after the speil on the phone .