Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Reading my smart meter

posted by mec | 6 months ago

so...... at the third attempt (2 appointments cancelled by Amey) I've got a SP smart meter. NO instructions on how to personalise it, so search the site, nothing; check my account to see whether I'm still in credit and I'm asked to provide meter readings to get an accurate bill.

Wait a minute, I thought that's what smart meters were supposed to do??????

Waste of time and money methinks!!

32 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Re: Reading my smart meter
Congrats on the new system. It sends kWh data to SP and only your account can tell you if you are in credit. The IHD will approximate local costs but only your account will generate bills. Normal billing cycle is quarterly so you may not get a bill straight away. I would send in a manual reading to start the system. Your IHD will show meter readings for you to submit.

posted by val | 6 months ago
Installed 3 weeks ago & still not sending info to my app, online chat also is absolutely useless, company is void of customer relation skills ... useless

posted by val | 6 months ago
Totally agree the smart meter we have is useless as 3 weeks on & still not collecting info from our meters

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Hi Val, your problem is normal, your IHD (which is not called a smart meter) will start soon. Your smart meter(the real meter on the wall) is probably sending data to SP. just give it time to settle in. Send manual readings if you want to check the system. 

posted by DaveD | 6 months ago
Hi Val, further to Davc's comment, my in home display, the little gizmo that you can in theory walk around with did not display my gas readings only electric when it was first installed. I got the engineer out to make sure things were set up correctly and when he arrived (he was from Amey) he said have you tried turning it off for a couple of minutes then back on? I said no. Guess what, when this was done it functioned correctly. I asked why they couldn't have told me this over the phone and he just smiled.

Give it a whirl, you can't do any damage.

DaveD

posted by DaveD | 6 months ago
Sorry for the second post but I also have discovered that if you log on and elect to give a meter reading you can see if the smart system is functioning as it will fill in the reading fields for you and say that it was from your smart meter. The main problem is that the IT guys have buggered up the customer interface so you can't see it day by day. That is another story.

DaveD

Well, whilst I'd love to agree with your comments, regrettably, my IHD is not sending any data to SP and last night when I tried to enter meter readings, it kept coming up with an error ,message about there appearing to be a technical issue - yeah, dead right, it's rubbish! For the gas meter it had 6 as the final digit so haven't a clue what that was all about.
So, this morning, I try again and get the "sorry you're leaving us" message and scroll down to enter updated meter readings and just enter a cycle whereby it sends me back to my home page, time and time again. The IHD is only showing a plug so am presuming that it's not linking itself to the gas meter.
The help offered by the Amey employee was fairly ............. rubbish.
I reiterate, there were no instructions on personalising the IHD (thank goodness it's not an IED as it would have demolished my home by now), the information given at installation was at most very limited.
the meters were changed from BG to SP on 21/12/2018 and to date, nothing has been transmitted to SP - evidenced by the lack of usage dat in the Usage graph for both fuels.
Mine is a second generation IHD and to be perfectly honest, it's pathetic. Technology at its finest I imagine!

I've tried sending manual readings and the website kept telling me last night that there is an issue and now it sends me round and round and round and ....................................... So, I've turned the useless piece of technology off - not wasting energy on something that is ineffective and little short f useless!

done that one a time or three but still no joy. frustration rules!
technology at its finest!