Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund owed but have moved abroad

posted by OakTree | 10 months ago

Hi all,

My final bill has been generated and i'm owed a refund. I've told the agents on webchat that i'm no longer living in the UK, so sending a cheque won't work, and i'd prefer to be paid straight into my UK bank account. I didn't have a direct debit set up so i had to phone (from abroad) to give my bank details. The guy at the call centre didn't seem too on the ball, and i had to clarify that i would receive this refund in my account; he said yes. I checked my account today and still no money. Where is my refund? I can't be expected to call all the time to chase this up as calls cost an arm and a leg from abroad, and the agents on webchat don't seem to be able to help. Thanks all.

13 comments

posted by indespair | 10 months ago
Re: Refund owed but have moved abroad

I have the same problem. They promised to send refund to my account then asked me for my address so they could send a cheque. Now I cannot escalate the complaint as the form won't submit. Joke

posted by Jonnel | 10 months ago
I've had refunds from SP before and they can take up to 21 days to show up in my bank account. If either of you've been waiting longer than this its likely your refund has gone astray so if you still have access to your online account I would lodge a complaint asap. That way there's a paper trail and online won't cost you a penny to chase. You could also try the online chat but remember to copy the chat to a document yourself to keep a record of anytbing the agents tell you, they're notoriously unreliable and forgetful when it comes to emailing you a chat transcript.
After its all done I would change my bank details if I were you.

Is there anyone from Scottish Power on here at all? Is there an email address to get this sorted out?

It wasn't until the end of the call that the agent on the phone finally clicked that sending a cheque (to my old address) wasn't feasible, and i had to reiterate that i'd moved abroad and needed it paid into my bank account. When i asked for this to be done he said "oh that'll be done, i've got your bank details here", which he hadn't as i never paid by direct debit, so there was no bank details listed on my account. I gave him the details, but it was clear he couldn't get me off the phone quick enough.

I've never had a webchat transcript mailed to me either.

posted by Davc | 10 months ago

Hi Oaktree, very frustrating, SP staff do not normally intervene in these messages, you could try an email to 

contactus@scottishpower.com

posted by Jonnel | 10 months ago

Oaktree, Scottish Power reps DO make appearances on these boards (Eilidh is the usual respondant) but they tend to happen with the regularity of girl chickens with dental problems. I, for one, havn't been able to identify the criteria by which SP deem it appropriate to comment on customers' posts but whatever they are, SP won't be able to sort out your particular problem on a public forum anyway, that's why lodging a complaint is best - it gets you noticed and starts the 8 week countdown to 'Energy Ombudsman Involvement.' Simply e-mailing the 'contactus' addy as Davc suggests will get you an answer, but if it's not the answer you like, you then still have to go and register a complaint and THEN wait the 8 weeks to get it passed to the ombudsman. I always think: 'why not cut to the chase?'

The webchat agents sometimes work well... rockinghorse production values notwithstanding... but the option to automatically have the transcript of your chat (and any promises made therein) e-mailed to you WAS common practice up until earlier this year, when it was withdrawn without notice - you now have to remember to ASK for a transcript to be e-mailed to you, which is why I always copy and paste webchats into a Word doc as I'm having them... it takes the pressure off the poor girls at the call centre having to remember to send them.

I guess you just have to ask yourself is the refund you're owed worth the hassle?

Thank you for the replies all.  I've sent an email. Failing this i'll try Twitter and Facebook.

posted by aneczka | 5 months ago

Ugh, same here. I did tell them I was moving abroad, yet they want to send me a check..

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago

@aneczka Did you cancel your UK direct debit or bank payment arrangement? Did you close your UK bank account? If you did, the authorisation to pay YOU via BACS will have been revoked at the same time as SP's right to take money, so your refund will have slipped down to  default method, which is cheque.

If you're already abroad, did you send them your SWIFT code?

posted by aneczka | 5 months ago

My UK bank account is still open, and I don't think there was a direct debit as I had a prepaid account.