Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Lenka | 9 months ago
Re: Refusal to replace Comfort Plus white meter

Davc, your company puts different charges per rates on bills and different on your online tariff information. It's very missleading! And I now have much higher rate on my control rate, it goes to about £30 more per month! I checked - many tiems, stress levels throught the roof.  So thanks for NOT saving my money, great job, hope you're proud of yourself. But hey,  you don't sleep in 13 degrees, so obviously you don't care.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 9 months ago

Comfort Plus has three readings. A day rate which is for general appliances like lighting and TV and Fridge.  A night rate which is only for warming your storage heaters at night so they can put out their heat in the day, and a Control rate which reheats the storage heaters during the day in cold weather.   They all have their own costs. Typically day rate is about 15p/kwh, night rate about 9p/kwh and control probably about the same as the day rate.   These costs are all shown on the bills.  Anyone confused by the costs can ask Citizen's Advice to explain, they are used to unravelling complicated bills and statements.

Economy 7 is cheaper than Comfort Plus because there is no Control rate, the storage heaters stay cold once their overnight heat has gone. In this case you can use a fan heater more economically  than the storage heaters.

In both Comfort Plus and Economy 7 there is no overnight heating between midnight and 7am, the heaters are only taking in heat not putting it out. 

Highlighted

posted by Lenka | 9 months ago

Hi Devc, you're talking rubbish AGAIN, what a shock. So to start - you charge me over 22p on day rate. My night rate only heats my boiler (water), and is over 11p. Control rate heats my storage heaters over night, it takes ver 20kWh EVERY NIGHT and you charge me over 14p per every control kWh!!! So yes, much higher prices than you just mentioned there.  Another question more to the point - when are you going to sort  your mistake of not using my actual reading which I provided to you on 16/1/2020??  You used estimates and issued final bill, which by the way shouldn't be done till 7/2/2020!! You changed my rates and tariff from 16/1/2020 WITHOUT TELLING ME!!! And used estimates only, to then charge me over 300 pounds for a month electricity. I was on my prepayment meter till 7/2/2020 and my old ratings were still despalyed. The engineer removed it with over 160 pounds still in it.  I raised complain about that and had no response about this particular issue. | am not givig up  by the way,  I am not allowing you to rob me, You should be ashamed, the lot of you. Now no more rubbish please, give me something that could actually help me with the mess you left me in!!!

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 9 months ago
Hi Lenka. Your setup is bad. The night rate should heat the storage heaters, you need an electrician to sort it out for you. No wonder it is costing you an arm and a leg at 14p/kWh for the storage heaters. Your day rate is way too dear, most people pay around 15p for day rate and 9 pence for night rate on economy7

I don’t work for SP, it’s a big problem you have there so good luck. Also be aware SP do not read this forum which is for customer self help so you need to talk to SP direct.

You need to get rid of the Comfort Plus and switch then to a cheaper supplier.
Highlighted

posted by Sarahlily | 9 months ago

At last after a long struggle finally got my comfort plus meter changed it seems that something changed in 2016 that compelled SP to change these meters if requested although there could be a £50 charge I haven't been told about this as yet but it will be ofset by lower bills 

Highlighted

posted by enragedwithsp | 8 months ago
I have storage heaters and no gas. I also have 2 meters apparently. I tried to transfer to Bulb who have one rate but SP kept blocking it. Bulb warned me that I would have to pay for 2 meters even though they have on rate, because SP would charge them for 2 meters. Because SP are so expensive it still would have been cheaper to transfer to Bulb.

SP kept blocking my transfer to Bulb and promised to send me a letter to explain why. The letters never came.

I don't really understand the electrics side of things but I know SP are outrageously expensive and stubborn. They told me it was cheaper to run the washing machine at night but it looks like it's just the storage heaters that are on the cheaper tariff. Sorry I ranted on your complaint. Just sounds like a similar nightmare. Vicky
Highlighted

posted by enragedwithsp | 8 months ago
For goodness sake!
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

@enragedwithsp   Unless you have 3 meter readings you don't have comfort plus.  You probably have economy 7 which is a fairly standard 2 readings service that all the suppliers offer. Modern E7 systems have just one meter, but the old type had two meters which switched over at night on a time clock with a heavy Clunk.  There should be no reason why Bulb cannot offer you an E7 account, they will probably suggest you get a smart meter installed - but that will have to wait until this crisis passes.

Highlighted

posted by foolsgold | 7 months ago
@Davc just like @Lenka above my storage heaters have always used the control rate only at night, never the night rate and the control rate has never kicked in again during the day to heat the storage heaters when the temperature drops. Storage heaters only heat at night on control? As discussed with you on another post I'm on a single rate deal for all 3 readings which isn't that cheap and is about to expire at the end of this month. Now I know why my bills are higher than my neighbour who runs 3 storage heaters constantly to my 1 storage heater, they have been wired up wrongly when Scottish Power changed my meter from an 2 rate economy 7 meter to a 3 rate comfort plus meter many years ago. Now a very angry and out of pocket man!
Highlighted

posted by foolsgold | 7 months ago
Just to reiterate re my message above my meter was changed from economy 7 twin rate to comfort plus 3 rate without my knowledge. Scottish Power said they where changing out old meters for new digital ones.