Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by nightstore | 7 months ago
Re: Refusal to replace Comfort Plus white meter

Bit of clarification about 3 rate meters.

All of your electric (except night store heaters) runs through the day rate during the day & is switched in the meter to the night rate during the night. Nice & simple. Your Night store heaters, however,are wired to a separate fuse board which is fed by a restricted supply. This restricted supply is 'controlled' by Scottish Power (hence control rate meter reading ) through a radio teleswitch. Scottish power decide when this restricted controlled supply is switched on & send a radio signal to turn on/off each night. This gives them the ability to switch on remotely to give you a boost during other times, sometimes during the day during cold spells. Hope this helps.   

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

@nightstore   That is interesting, we hear a lot of different explanations on here.  If the setup is as you say then change the wiring to feed the heaters with the night rate on a time switch and disconnect the 'Control' panel. Then you have a system ready for Economy 7. It does not sound complicated and one wonders why SP are so reluctant to change.

Highlighted

posted by AB89 | 7 months ago

To provide a further update, our meter was replaced on Friday the 13th of March.

There was a little bit of miscommunication between Scottish Power and the contractors who actually do the meter swaps. SP gave a date that the contractors couldn't fulfill, and I had to phone SP to confirm that the job was definitely going head.

I have a refurbished E7 meter fitted, and Scottish Power still want a third 'control' reading each time I submit readings, even though my E7 meter doesn't provide this. I assume this is because SP haven't changed by tarrif, though oddly I now have one closed and one new account visible when I log in.

I did get a letter from SP advising that we were now eligible for smart meters, so presumably there is now a single MPAN recorded against our account and we could switch tarrifs. 

Ultimately I'm going to change provider very soon. I've not been impressed with SP throughout this entire process. I've had to 'manage' this process and develop a deeper understanding of both the technology and the back office proceedures of SP than I think I should ever have needed to develop. I don't mind the tech side as I find this stuff mildly interesting, but the whole thing has been an uphill struggle that I now might only just be clear of. 

Highlighted

posted by DeeBee | 7 months ago

My meter was replaced 3 months ago and I am still in the same position you are.  When I go to input meter readings, the page still shows my new meter - 2 readings - but also my old meter - but only one reading. I have an ongoing complaint re this and have been fairly regularly updated by phone  BUT the message is always "we are still trying to sort it". SP are unable to give me a new cotract until it is sorted, so I am being charged at "standard rate" ; they say I will have any new contract back dated but can't tell me if any new supplier would be able to back date.

In the present situation, I have stopped chasing them but will be ready to escalate to the ombudsman when we get back to something like a normal world.

Highlighted

posted by nightstore | 7 months ago

Had enough of all this, in the process of changing supplier. 

Highlighted

posted by Sarahlily | 7 months ago
After a two year struggle I decided enough was enough and I had gas central heating installed so got rid off the the three reading meter but as this was done week before lockdown I'm now having a problem getting a gas account set up despite giving meter point reference no and meter serial no also start read given to me by installer and current read up to present time it appears the dept for setting up new accounts are not in work because of covid19 so will have to wait till this is over before I get a bill lucky white Heather
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

@Sarahlily   Congratulations on switching to gas, definitely the way to go for heating.  Its good that you have a supply, even if the administration has not gone through.  Its a good idea to take and record regular readings which you can use in case of disputes and estimates arising later. Did they leave you with a standard one reading electric meter? If so you can apply for the cheapest fixed rate deal you can find.  uSwitch is good.

Highlighted

posted by Sarahlily | 7 months ago

I have been left with a one reading electric meter and I will record gas readings every month as you advised thank you

Highlighted

To provide further update, I'm still with Scottish Power and still on the standard tariff.

I attempted to switch to E.ON, but was notified that our MPAN was listed as deactivated in ECOES. I contacted Scottish Power, and they notified me that they had no record of my meter being swapped. Surely they must have for my MPAN for it be deactivated, or is the work done by the contractor? Wonders never cease... For reference the contractor was Activo, who apparently handle a lot of this work. Luckily it was done just before we went into lockdown as well.

Scottish Power then requested photos of both my new meter and the sticker the contractor left with the historic meter readings from my E10 meter. Cue lots of emails, as Scottish Power aren't set up to receive emails from an iCloud email address. I had to use another email address and give them lots of heads up that the photos would be coming from a new address. They have finally received the photos, and now want new meter readings, which I've provided as of yesterday.

What amazes me is that I still have to manage every single step of this process. I have to constantly write follow up emails and baby this process along. I can get my head around the technology, the mostly online presence of SP and have the patience to keep plugging away. I'm in a fortunate position to be able to do any of this; there must be many out there paying horrific bills because they can't do the same. 

Highlighted

The option to get a boost at other times was called 'Weather Call'. Luckily I didn't have this set up. My heaters were charged from 12:30 - 13:30 each day (or something similar) regardless of the weather.

When I moved into the house the old brochures for the heaters, circa early 1990s, were left in the property. The notion was that you basically left the things on high settings and allowed the South of Scotland Electricity Board carte blanche to charge them up as much as necessary. I can only assume electricity was rather cheaper back then.