Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing smart meter

posted by mikeyb | 10 months ago
I’m at the end of my wits with these awful meters. Hasn’t worked properly for 12 months. Bills all over the place. Meter says I’ve used about £950 this year and paid by dd approximately £12-1300. Put in actual readings via online account and now my bill says I owe £6600. I’m not running a hotel. Need this sorted or a new supplier.
9 comments

posted by  Gordon | 10 months ago
Re: Removing smart meter
Hi @mikeyb, our customer service team are best placed to help you with this. Just give them a call on 0800 027 0072 or send an email via the webform at www.scottishpower.co.uk/email

posted by Sickntired | 7 months ago

I too would like my smart meter removed as I having the same trouble with meter not working and wild estimates causing me to go from £300 in credit to £600 in debit . I have lost count of the number of phone calls I have made with overseas call centres cancelling my complaint saying everyone is satisfied with their resolving this case when they definetly have not.

The last person I spoke to at the Liverpool call centre seemed get a handle on this saying that S.P. did not know that a meter had been fitted to this jouse in 2016 and it is not working along with the fact that they were using the old meter readings to estimate. My readings are 01947   S.P. gestimate 97820  approx.  Can ayone see where this is going.

I am a single person living a very frugal life with no oven, dishwasher or tumble dryer and not running a hotel...this must be the default bill.

I have tried contacting Lynda Clayton, does she exist? as evertime I try I get a reply from a different person in the Indian call centre telling me all is correct.

My next move has got to be the newspapers as I have been trying to get this resolved since January 2018.  

The sudden rise in estimated useage happened around 13/July 2017 but since I entered my own meter readings on a daily basis for over a week on March 2018 the useage rate has dropped to normal but I am still £900  out of pocket if S.P. insists stealing money from my bank account.

posted by Nigel | 4 months ago

You are not alone, Sickntired, Scottish Power said, weeks ago, that they would replace my smart meter, which did not work properly, with an analogue meter - guess what?  You got it, they have not done it and have been suspiciously quiet about it. 

Oddly enough, if you believe in coincidence,  my smart meter stopped submitting meter readings some months before my fixed term period ran out so that when I was due to renew, perhaps with a different supplier, I found that I was deeply in debt because the estimated usage was grossly inaccurate.

When I queried why Scottish Power knew, months beforehand, that they were not getting meter readings automatically ( the most basic reason for the existence of smart meters )  they had not taken action, the reply was "we do not check on smart meters because they send the meter readings automatically "   !!!  Can you believe it??

Sorry folks, the only recourse is to change supplier "automatically" !

posted by alie | 3 months ago

My tenants had two smart meters installed last year without my permission.Infact it was in the contract they signed not to repalce them.They did it anyway, then moved out. The gas one has no display either.It's broken.Scottish power were informed.Did nothing for three months.I complained so many times.I was told that the meters would be put in ''dumb mode'' thereby turning off the transmitter.When I called yesterday they told me the gas one needed a firmware update.I asked them how they knew this, they said they could see the meter.I asked them how, they said because it was transmitting.They deceived me into thinking they had turned off the transmitter when they hadn't.They told me it was inpossible to put back the old analogue meters.I am still witing for this to be resolved.

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hi Alie, Smart gas meters do not show a display until you wake them by pressing buttons, this feature saves their batteries. As for having the meters taken out, you could wait a long time unless you have an urgent reason to change them.  I hope your tenants left the IHD and instructions when they moved out.

posted by alie | 3 months ago

Thanlks for your reply Dave.

No the tenants did not leave the remote display and another one was never supplied not that I asked for it.The buttong have all been checked and I have advised SP that the batteries needed to be replaced months ago, still no action from them.They called me last week to tell me they would change the meter as it was faulty, but I am still waiting.Its been ongoing since March.I know the situation.I am an electrician.I do not want these meters due to them being dangerous.I am aware of what they do, and use a switched mode power supply nad transmit using the house wiring as an antenna, and use 900MHZ, way too high EMF.It's surely my absolute right to have the anaolgue meters put back in.They should not have been changed without my authority as I am the outright owner of the property.I was not informed at all that these had been changed.I will pursue to this to the highest level.I dont give up easily.

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hi again Alie, Smart meters use Zigbee at 2.4Ghz to communicate with each other and the IHD. They send their data to the energy company by mobile phone signal which I understand is no stronger signal than any mobile phone. Many of the health worries about smart meters come from American internet articles, and the American system is different to ours.  

Anyway good luck with getting them replaced, but safety is not an issue in the UK.

Highlighted

posted by Jopace | 4 weeks ago

I have had a smart meter for around 10 months now. I have had nothing but escalating readings and cost. I have made numerous complaints but nothing is ever done about it. I also have solar panels and clearly the meter is not working with them. 

I have just made another compaint due to the readings reaching a big high and obviously cost, for no reason. Ihave been shut down again with there bull**bleep** "your meter is working fine".

Today I got a call with the same outcome of of all complaints,surprise surprise.

I asked for the Smart Meter to be removed and replaced with my previous standard meters....SCOTTISH POWER have refused my request to change them.

I have now decided ive had enough of being robbed and switching to a new company called 'Bulb' who are going to pay my exit fees....Thank god

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago
Hi Jopace. Several people have reported problems with solar panels and smart meters. If not installed correctly you can be charged for the solar panel output. Hope you are happier with Bulb but it may be the smart meter is just set up wrong.