Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Re: Removing smart meter
An afterthought James. Your monitor will accurately tell you the meter readings but not the costs which can be wrong. Follow your kWh readings for a week or two to make sure your usage is at a normal level. If you send in a meter reading by phone it will raise a bill and you can see where you stand.
It’s a good idea to send a meter reading now as it sets a starting point for the new meters. This should have been reported by the installer but sometimes they don’t do it.

SP will not remove a smart meter just because of the IHD monitor. There are a lot of problems with these gadgets at the moment.

posted by naip | 3 months ago
Hi All I am an extremely frustrated new customer of Scottish Power- SP just switched from British Gas-BG, as from 24/01/2019.

Before I switched from BG I had called SP sales and had a very detailed conversation explaining my reasons for leaving BG. I enquired SP if they will be able to remove the smart meters in my home (installed circa in June 2018). They the salesman and his manager confirmed YES! I asked them three times to make 100% sure as well as stated that my switch is pre-conditioned to my switching over to SP from BG. Everything was agreed and recorded on their system so I trusted them, I was informed that I must call them once my switch is completed, and I did yesterday but couldn’t get through after nearly 30mins holding I switched off. So about half an hour ago I called to request removal of the smart meter as promised by SP at the time of switching, I am now informed that the two persons have misinformed me and they cannot remove the smart meters?

Somebody, please tell me what do I do next to get out of this nightmare scenario. Everywhere I turn, I seem to be told lies by large energy companies - what is the government doing to address our problems with smart meters? My energy bills have shot upwards since June 2018; I have paid nearly £1000 over the normal bills in a short time span. My final bill from BG after switch over is £318 for 18 days?

I feel this is a huge con because, smart meters do not work in houses which have solar panels and instead of deducting the cost of using my own solar energy, smart meters add it as additional use resulting in higher bill than energy actually being used?

PLEASW HELP!
Many Thanks

I’m surprised anyone said they would re install smart meters. Your problem is that it is very hard to set up a smart meter correctly with solar panels. A lot of people have found this.
You should insist that the incorrectly installed BG system is removed and replaced with either a conventional system or a correctly installed SP system.
People say that the company Bulb are good in your circumstances.

Remember also that you have a cooling off period on switching to SP. I would cancel the switch and tell BG to correct the wrong installation.

Thank you

Thank you

posted by alie | 3 months ago

I have been waiting for ten months, written 180 emails and have the Ombudsman involved.

Still no action from Scottish power. It looks like I am going to have to go to a lawyer next to sort this out.The problem is that it seems Scottish power DO NOT install the meters themselves, their contractor does, and they seem unable to tell the contractor what to do.

The law quite clearly states everyone is allowed to refuse a smart meter and you do NOT have to accept one in the UK. Anyone in doubt about this statement is free to contact me and I will send them the goverment transcript. I was never given the choice wether I wanted one one or not.They just went ahead and did it when I wasnt in my house.MY house.They are bullies.They should only install when they have written permission form the landlord.They broke my new gasbox cover and I also had to re-paint and fill holes around the perimeter of the electricity meter.Still, that's not the issue.

The issue is that these so called smart meters will spy on you, maybe not now, but they certainly will in the future.This is your right.Dont get spied on. If you read the small print it quite clearly states that any information given or collected can and may be used by the police, goverment agancies or any one affiliated with them.

Each time a smart meter is installed they get paid around 400 pounds.

Sick, the lot of them.

Contact their helpline? Wait an hour on the phone, yes an hour, then they do nothing they promise.

I am sick and tired of them big time.

First we can only sympathise on this community forum, we are not SP. Second you are on your own regarding snooping and health risks. Thirteen million smart meters so far and a target of 50 million, they are part of modern life.

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago

@alie Just a couple of things worth checking out before you go throwing money at lawyers:-

I think I'm right in saying that if a tenant pays for their energy directly, they are allowed to choose their supplier and whether or not they have a smart meter installed, despite any tenancy clauses saying otherwise. Consumer law says a landlord cannot unreasonably restrict them from changing suppliers or having a smart meter. I'm also led to believe if the tenant then decides to move on, and the landlord wants the smart meter out, the tenant is supposed to arrange it - has to leave your place as he found it.

Secondly, some tariffs and suppliers make installation of smart meters compulsory depending on that tariff or supplier. The supplier wont necessarily make this clear in the basic agreement, but it'll be in the small print, so it's a contractual obligation. This means maybe even the tenant didn't know a smart meter was going to be fitted - some energy suppliers are notorious for not being completely clear about things when there're targets to achieve.

Now, if your property was damaged by the meter fitter, I would have thought it's them who you have a claim against, not the energy supplier - they're usually different firms. It's awkward you've had the damage recified, as there's now no proof, unless you took photos. I would find out which firm fitted the meter and speak to them directly.

Lastly, you divulge more information about yourself every time you surf online than you do through your smart meter. As far as cyber security goes, smart meters are the least of your worries.

Highlighted

posted by alie | 3 months ago

The government made it quite clear consumers would be given a choice whether they wanted one or not.
I am a consumer.I have NOT been given a choice. WHY NOT? The tenants arranged for this to be installed, a month later they moved out without a forwarding address.Leaving me with the problem., in the contract they singed it said they were NOT to change the meters.I also had a conversation with SP about the meters in 2016 requesting them not to be changed at any time after tenants installed card meters. The tenants did say they would pay to have them put back in but that would be difficult as it's taken Scottish Power almost a year to liaise with me and still no solution has been found. I wonder how much wasted time has been involved in this for everyone? They are stubborn and arrogant. I would imagine about 30 hours so far in emails,missed appointments, Ombudsman time and investigation time.I dont even have a display to see what I am using.So what exactly is the benefit to me of having this smart meter? None. Nothing. The only people who benefit are those collecting ''data''.