Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Bewildered | 4 months ago
Re: Removing smart meter

I too have had problems with my "Smart" meter which has never worked properly. I now have received a massive electric bill  of over  £1000 for 8 months usage when I only use  2-3 units per day.  I was told I would never need to read the meter again with a smart meter. I now have to not only try to read a meter that is awkward to read but take photographs of it. It is absolutely absurd. I wish I'd never agreed to having one. I've moved to Octopus, but am still having to sort out the problems with Scottish Power. To be fair, the meter was installed by !st utility and that company was taken over by Shell. Nevertheless, Scottish Power should have resolved the problem by now.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

@Bewildered   Yoiu probably have seen that older smart meters stop sending readings if you change supplier.  You have been getting estimated readings.  You will also have to send manual readings to Octopus, don't blame SP for the situation, regular readings are always needed for correct bills.

Highlighted

posted by RuthHenry21 | 4 months ago

Hi,

I should like my smart meter removed as I am noticing effects from the emf dirty electricity. How do I go about this...? Also, does the plug in monitor need plugging in or can I remove this .

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
@RuthHenry21. You can unplug the display and put it away. The community cannot do anything about changing your meter, you must request SP.

Your meters use a mobile phone call to send readings. If being close to mobile phones does not make you feel ill then the meters cannot be harming your health. We are all surrounded by mobile phone signals every day, they are completely safe.
Highlighted

posted by RuthHenry21 | 4 months ago

Thanks for your input Davc. I will disconnect the monitor and contact Scottish Power. Unfortunately, I am home at the moment and am noticing effects from my mobile and laptop too. Thanks again.

Highlighted

posted by alie | 4 months ago

You can try asking SP to remove or replace the smart meter only if it's faulty.My tenents had smart meters installed without my permission and then shortly afterwards moved out leaving me with the problem.When the goverment says it's up to the individual to decide wether or not to have them installed is a lie. I had no choice.Its MY house not theirs, and the law should state it's the house owner who should decide wether the meters should be installed not the temporary tenants. I fought with SP for 18 months and even got the so called Ombudsman involved to no avail.The only option is for you to change supplier and ask them if they would put back an analogue meter.