Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously high usage

posted by CJ76 | 7 months ago
I was a customer of extra energy and hence automatically given to Scottish power when they folded. I have always known Scottish power have poor customer service and hence would never have willingly chosen to be with them. After 3 months of being with them they issued a bill for £4239. I live in a 3 bed semi. After several sessions of being on hold for over 40 mins a time, this bill reduced to 1219. Per quarter!!! In their slight defence my meter is saying I use 1000 units a month. I have asked for a meter check. I was advised I needed to raise a complaint to do this. I raised a complaint. I was given a 2 hour discussion slot for 10 days time to discuss said complaint. No one got in touch. When I can summon the energy to wait on hold for 40 minutes I'm always advised no one knows why my meter is supplying the whole street or what I can do about it. I really want to leave Scottish power but seem unable to do so with such a large bill. My house is empty during the day and we have economy 7. We simply do not use 1000 units of electricity a month. Can anyone advise how I can get out of this situation please? Thanks in advance!
24 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 7 months ago
Re: Ridiculously high usage

I suppose you used 1000 kwh a month with EE also and did not think to mention it?  There is no easy route with SP you just have to keep ringing until you get a sensible answer. You can also write to contactus@scottishpower.com 

posted by CJ76 | 7 months ago
Thanks for that suggestion. Yes e had noted that out last bill from EE had been higher, not 1000 a month, and had been in touch with them to try and sort this. They were due to send someone out to test the meter when they went into administration. I have been in email contact with SP, they always end up advising to ring the helpline.....They clearly couldn't cope with their customer base before having EE customers added to the numbers! I think I'll just stop my direct debit and see how long it takes for them to contact me

posted by Ronco | 6 months ago
Hi all. Well like yourself I have just been issued with a bill for just under £5000 !!
I had a previous bill from Nov to Feb. Paid that in April £550. Now there trying to say that in last 3 months I've spent £4000 plus just on Electricity. This bill from a previous estimate by them and also see that previous bill was cancelled, the payment credited to my account and now subtracted from this bill....what's all that about ? Well I've no d/d in place so if they think this right they will have a long wait and still no mention of any refund from my e.e account as I know I was in credit with them......

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Hi Ronco, yes £5000 is a lot for 7 months fuel. Have you supplied any readings? If the bill is entirely estimated a true reading could reduce it. You should be paying slightly more with SP than you paid with EE, say maybe 15% more, but no way two or three times more. What did you pay to EE in a typical year?

Hi. Well my annual bill previous has never been more than £1200 paying around on average £120 a month .
This bill was me supplying a meter reading but the starting figure was entered by them as an estimate?

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Hi again Ronco, well there you have the answer, the opening estimate was an error, they should be able to correct it if you ask them. 

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago

@Ronco Scottish Power should never have used an estimate as your opening reading. When switching, old supplier closing reads and new supplier opening reads are supposed to be validated by an independant third party precisely to prevent mistakes like this happening. I guess it's possible it happened because ExEn went bust there were no 'closing reads' done. That said, ExEn knew they were going to have to declare in advance of it happening - it didn't happen overnight.

Of course you're going to challenge the bill, but maybe base your challenge on the fact SP didn't follow procedure and get a reading from you when they took over your supply.

Thanks for the comments. I certainly wasn't aware of that fact and shall put it in a strong reply to them and see what response I get ?

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago
@Ronco Be aware that SP will probably come back to with an argument that there is an acceptable margin of error allowed under Ofgem regs for them to estimate in circumstances where an actual read has not been done for a supplier switch.

But that reg only applies where the customer will not lose out - the customer would pay, or would have paid, either the new supplier or the old one anyway - it wouldn't really matter what the estimated figure really was, that read would just be a break-point for the two suppliers to decide who gets what portion of your usage/payment and it all would be paid for only ONCE. In your case there is no old supplier to take their share, so if you have already paid 'past' the reading SP suggest they stand to get paid again for what you MAY have already paid ExEn for.

Tricky, eh? Hope you've some history to back it up.