Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Hell4Leather | A year ago
Re: Ripped Off

I'm away most of the week,I come home at weekends and use the heating. 
I hardly live at my address. I leave one heater on n the Kitchen to stop the water freezing this heater is connected to an off peak meter and on a timer for 4 hours per night. I never use the hotwater so thats always off and onlu used at weekends.
At the weekends I use my heating sensibly like most people do why have i been given a bill of £450 for the month of January 2019.  £120 is the highest bill i've had in five years please explain.........................?????????????????

Highlighted

posted by Mark1 | A year ago

DON'T USE SCOTTISH POWER !!!!!! If you do make sure you provide plenty of notice before your current tariff finishes. Within a 6 week period i was charged in excess of £400 for gas and electricity in a small 3 bed property. I'd been especially conscientious of what i was using yet somehow my bill was more than doubling. I still had 4 weeks of my existing tariff left but when it came to thier final calculations they totally screwed me over. NEVER AGAIN !

Highlighted

posted by shelgray | A year ago

I've just cancelled my service with SP as they wanted to increase my monthly payments by 50% despite not using any more energy! To add insult to injury, they have now slapped a £30 termination fee per service (£30 each for gas and electricity so £60 in total) onto my final bill. This charge makes up more than 50% of the amount owed. 

If I knew when I joined what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered changing from my old supplier 😤

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | A year ago

@shelgray That's par for the course with Scottish Power... There is a supplier out there who offers to pay any exit fees leavers might have. If you're still in the cooling off period with your new supplier you could cancel and go with them instead.

The thing for others to remember Scottish Power is a business, and that business is to make money, not friends. They're always going to put shareholders and board bonuses before customers

Highlighted

posted by Delboylfc | A year ago
Sorry I have a similar problem my electric smart meter was taken out and replaced with payment token meter I explained I wanted dual fuel on the contract I signed they took gas meter out eventually after being without gas for 2 months now they are trying to charge me 84 pound for 28 units??? And they said they can't put a direct debit meter in as I haven't passed credit check if that were the case why did they put a direct debit gas meter in totally useless I've only had heating on twice in 3 and a half months as I am disabled and need electric done to direct debit as I can't get around to top my key up and have a nebuliser so if lecky goes I am screwed as my contract has not been honered do I have the right to cancel my contract as this is rediculous thanks for any reply at the end of my tether and is causing me stress and my blood is at boiling point
Highlighted

posted by Johnyoung12008 | A year ago

I am contacting you re my payments firstly by DD from November 2018. until August 2019.  My monthly bill has been increased by 45%%.  My final bill in excess of 50%.  A total increase of 95% for the same service as before.  You claim in your charts my gas and electricity bills are based on actual readings.  You took over my previous company and as my electricity meter is inside my house no one has either asked me for a reading or visited my house to take one.  How therefore can this bill be accurate or fair.  I have no intention of paying see you in court if u dare

@Hell4Leather wrote:

I'm away most of the week,I come home at weekends and use the heating. 
I hardly live at my address. I leave one heater on n the Kitchen to stop the water freezing this heater is connected to an off peak meter and on a timer for 4 hours per night. I never use the hotwater so thats always off and onlu used at weekends.
At the weekends I use my heating sensibly like most people do why have i been given a bill of £450 for the month of January 2019.  £120 is the highest bill i've had in five years please explain.........................?????????????????

Highlighted

posted by SP_Are_Crooks | 7 months ago

I'm currently being stiffed for a previous tenant's debt too. They had someone break into my flat without warning, changed the lock and the the gas meter to a pre-payment meter and left nothing behind but a messy floor, a badly-fitted new lock/handle and no documentation to say why they'd entered. Then, even knowing that I was the tenant, they had the audacity to send out a pre-payment card for the previous tenant.

All my complaints fall on deaf ears. I'm promised numerous call backs and I never hear from anyone. I can't even threaten them with non-payment as I'll be without gas to heat the home or cook with. I'm sure there's a civil rights issue here. Scottish Power are basically extorting me for someone else's debt. The police won't touch the matter as they say it's a civil matter and not a criminal one. How is someone illegally breaking into your house a civil matter?!?

The whole matter leaves me incredibly angry with a number of dark thoughts entering my head as to what I'd like to do to anyone I meet who works for this incredibly shoddy excuse for a company operating under such criminal practices. They can't hide behind any of this being "legal" considering they didn't follow up the correct procedure:

• The supplier must follow rules set by Ofgem and not install a meter if:
    • You don’t agree with the bill for example, if the debt is from a previous tenant
    • They haven’t offered you a repayment plan
    • They must give you 7 days notice
  • Suppliers should do everything they can to help support customers struggling to pay.
  • As a last resort they may obtain a warrant to enter your home and install a meter but this should only happen as a last resort and as long as the reasons above don’t apply.

At no point was any of this procedure followed by Scottish Power for my situation. Knowing they're in the wrong, they also seemingly refuse to fix it too. I wonder how they'd like it if someone kicked their doors in and invaded their home for no reason.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

@SP_Are_Crooks   Sounds like they were taking strong action against the previous tenant who must have departed owing money.

You are innocent in all this and somehow the meter change action was set in motion before SP were aware you had moved in.  Even now they do not seem to know you are a new tenant. You have the right to an apology and a payment in compensation, make it clear to SP in writing that you are a new customer with no connection to the previous customer. 

Highlighted

posted by SP_Are_Crooks | 7 months ago
Hi, Davc. I know I'm innocent but that doesn't seem to matter to Scottish Power, despite them being very aware since November 2019 that I was the sole tenant in the flat with no connection whatsoever to the previous tenant. Phone calls and text chats with their clueless agents are getting me nowhere and they're continuing to extort me. Citizens Advice and Ofgem are dragging their heels (I imagine due to the thousands of other complaints against SP alone) and I can't afford a lawyer for a matter like this.
If I'm to put this in writing to them, do you know the correct address I should contact? There are many to choose from. I also suspect this is a diversionary tactic on their part (like having a call centre full of people who can achieve absolutely nothing but give you false hope you'll receive a call, which you never will).
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

@SP_Are_Crooks   The address is

Scottish Power Energy Retail Ltd

320 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5AD

Send them a letter, preferably typed, addressed to The Chief Executive Officer. Send it to be signed for, you can do this from a post office.

Say that telephone enquiries have not resolved your problem of being a new account but being persued for previous occupier's debts.  Give your name address and account number.  Keep a copy of your letter, Citizens Advice can also advise you.

Good Luck