cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ripped Off

posted by Fed-Up | 2 years ago

Hi,

moved into a property with key meter. Turns out there is £70 worth of debt left on meter. Scottish power said they would send out new card to clear the debt. The card came and it never took the debt of instead to 70% of my money. I spent 8 and half hours on Friday getting new cards getting sent to several different shops to get a cards and get them activated. Eventually was told my card was working and none of my money would be taken off. I purchased £20 of gas, inserted into meter and hey presto £14 got taken off me for the outstanding debt. I was then told  AGAIN that a new card would be sent out which will clear the debt plus give me my £14 back. Now Tuesday no card oh and the Scottish Power Employee said she would phone me Monday  as priority. Surprise suprise no phone call either. I now have 30p gas for heating and hot water. Only a £1 left in my electric meter which they have still not sorted accoubt out either. What do people suggest ?

15 comments

posted by  AlanT | 2 years ago
Re: Ripped Off

Hi @Fed-Up, You haven’t  been advised of the correct process on this debt  query. ScottishPower can’t clear any debt from a gas Prepayment meter if the debt is under £100. Instead, we would issue a new card with your new account details and we would add a credit of £70 or the debt equivalent to the card. You  would then have to go to an  agreed outlet with your new card to pick up a signal from the pay point machine that would recognise the chip in your new payment card and this would then add a credit to the card to cover the amount of debt on the meter. You would then continue to top up but 70% of each top up would go towards clearing the debt from the meter until the debt had been paid. You will not be out of pocket as we have given you an upfront credit on your new card to cover any debt left by the previous tenant.  Can I check if your issue has now been resolved ?

posted by JoannaDz | A year ago
Hi,
I have similar issue and writting here because I failed to find any email address to solve my problem. I've moved in to new property and got new card to pre- paid meter as a NEW client. I found that my £20 top up gave me only £6 to us

posted by JoannaDz | A year ago
To use. It was because of almost £100 debt. I've spoken to your emploee and been promised to get new card with credits to cover it within few. Two weeks left and I haven't got it. My question is what I should do and how it is possible that debt appeared? Maybe somebody could advice. Thank you.

posted by Sortitout | A year ago
Scottish power have recently started taking money from my gas card topped up with ten pound they took £7 says phone lines shut at 6 today tried jus after 5 pm and suprise suprise all call handlers were busy I've left my contact details for them to contact me as a matter of urgency but I'm pretty pissed off tbh

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi sortitout, have you moved to a new property ? sometimes in this situation you pay for the previous tenant’s debt. You need to register with SP as a new customer at the address. 

This problem has been reported several times. 

posted by Anna73 | A year ago
Exact same situation here. I wasn't aware this issue was so common, which clearly implies something needs changing otherwise they will lose all the customers (I'm personally changing supplier).

posted by Kerrieb85 | 10 months ago
I just came across this and nearly cried. I have been battling over a year and a half to get debt removed from my gas meter.
I bought my house 12 years ago and I came with pre pay gas meter. All well and good and barely spent £10 a week topping up.
My boiler broke and to get a new one fitted Scottish Power sent out engineers to check earth wire. 3 separate engineers and no earth wire. A YEAR with no heating or hot water, untill I got my MP involved and hey presto no earth wire present and can be fitted next day.
Due to not using gas I was charged standing charges of over £200. When I started to top up my money was just swallowed up ref debt. Called and now 4 complaints later it is still mot rectified.
As above I had to spend hours going to and from shop topping up codes on cards.
Finally £200 credit on machine, which I used over winter. To now be told I'm back in debt by 200!!! A farce of a company that have ruined my garden digging and no results. Small claims and citizen advice now getting involved as all I want is meter cleared and removed ahhhhh

posted by Kerrieb85 | 10 months ago
I just came across this and nearly cried. I have been battling over a year and a half to get debt removed from my gas meter.
I bought my house 12 years ago and I came with pre pay gas meter. All well and good and barely spent £10 a week topping up.
My boiler broke and to get a new one fitted Scottish Power sent out engineers to check earth wire. 3 separate engineers and no earth wire. A YEAR with no heating or hot water, untill I got my MP involved and hey presto no earth wire present and can be fitted next day.
Due to not using gas I was charged standing charges of over £200. When I started to top up my money was just swallowed up ref debt. Called and now 4 complaints later it is still mot rectified.
As above I had to spend hours going to and from shop topping up codes on cards.
Finally £200 credit on machine, which I used over winter. To now be told I'm back in debt by 200!!! A farce of a company that have ruined my garden digging and no results. Small claims and citizen advice now getting involved as all I want is meter cleared and removed ahhhhh

posted by Madhan | 9 months ago

Hey There, I have moved into small property with one large and one Box room on 9th of Feb 2019.

The property has a prepaid meter from scottish power. I never used one of such prepaid meter for energy before. 

Since 9th Feb 2019 till 25th Feb 2019, I have spent 180 pounds on just electricity alone which is for 16 days. When I called scottish power customer service, on 14th Feb, they said they wanted me to register and clear the previous debt left by previous tenants and gave me a credit code for £50.  When I used the code to recharge my token, it didn't work. So I have topped up using my debit card instead. 

When I called scottish power to check , they said they could only see £30 pounds recharge only since I register with themselves.  And now they have asked me to send all the top up receipts from paypoint. I never used such prepayment system for energy before and I never thought I would be into this situation so I didn't keep my receipts but without receipts they refused to provide me the code again. 

Now I have spend over £180 pounds on just electricity alone and I worried how much its going to cost me each month and per year. I certainly wouldn't be able to offered huge cost on electricity and I wrote an email to contactus@scottishpower.com with my remaining topup receipts from paypoint and waiting for them to respond to my email and sortout any issues with prepaid meter and refund any amount that has been charged unlawfully.

Looking forward to see a response from scottish power.

Thanks