Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMETS I or SMETS II?

posted by axon | A year ago

Hello,

We had our smart meters recently installed and I was wondering, if that would already be SMETS II, the newer version, which would not be reverting to a  "dumb meter" after a supplier switch. Would you be able to confirm this, or are the some images you could share, showing the older SMETS I meters vs SMETS II?

Thanks

19 comments

Top answer

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago
Re: SMETS I or SMETS II?

Hi @axon, The SMETs version of meter installed in your home is SMETs1.  There are limitations to the technology should you change your energy supply away from the installing supplier. Rest assured ScottishPower is working within the industry to improve this situation and all existing SMETs1 meters will be upgraded remotely so they can connect to the central communication network (DCC) enabling full compatibility between suppliers. We hope this will be completed by the end of 2018. Finally we would always encourage you to ensure you are on the best tariff, with ScottishPower.  You can check this by logging into your online account and choosing the “Am I on the best tariff” option from your online account dashboard.

posted by Brummie | A year ago

Scottish power suply SMET1 meters via third-parties. Any plans by Scottish ower to change to SMETS2?

I am thinking of leaving for a cheaper supplier that has SMETS2  meters, as I don't want a dumb meter with lots of glitches for the next 20-30 years.

posted by Davc | A year ago
Brummie, my thoughts as well, SP are reluctant to say when they will switch to SMETS2, maybe they placed a huge order for SMETS1 and have a warehouse full to work through.
Highlighted

posted by Brummie | A year ago

I was thinking exactly that. They want me to arrange a time for installation, I think I will cancel this and wait until the end of the year.

I am well aware if I tell them why, they will say it will be easy to upgrade until you say you want them to put it down in writing.

posted by rjubin | A year ago
Me too. SMETS 2 type meters have been available for a while now. If SP don't offer this type soon, I'll be switching to one that does otherwise there's a good chance I'd be back to manual meter readings if I switch suppliers. The consumer is paying for the smartmeter conversion in the form of higher charges overall. There is a government inquiry why energy suppliers have only installed 80 Smets2 by Feb 2018 when over £11bn has been spent on the changeovers.
"www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/80-second-generation-smart-meters-have-installed-rollout-stalls/"

posted by elitom | A year ago

just had a call from SP - still pushing me to have a smart meter installed

I asked if they have SMET2 yet and the guy had no clue - but said he would ask!

Came back 20 seconds later with the reply that SMETS 2 are only for flats and that all SMETS 1 meters are now updated to allow provider switching - I told him I would verify that from a reliable sourxe.

So they are still doing only SMETS 1 for now - and clearly under pressure to roll them out

haha

posted by rjubin | A year ago

Dear Scottish Power,

Am I correct in assuming that currently only type 1 (SMETS1) smart meters
are being installed by Scottish Power in my area?

If that's correct please can you tell me when type 2 (SMETS2) meters will
be available?

SP has been encouraging me to install a smartmeter ever since I expressed an interest.

This is the reply I got from a recent inquiry above (19/4/18):

†*********†***********†************

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding your energy account **************

I can understand your concern regarding the smart meter installation.

I would like to inform you that as of now we are only installing SMETS1 smart meters. However we are improving our technology and will start installing SMETS2 smart meters in near future.

posted by trebor50 | A year ago

I had Scottish Power SMETS 1 smart meters fitted at the end of Jan 2018 and although registered for half hourly readings, that function has never worked. Just over a week ago the rest of the smart functions packed in ( daily readings).  So the fact is that SP smart meters are not even compatable with the SP system. So what are the chances of them being compatible with any other suppliers system?

My next door neighbour had smart meters fitted by British Gas more than 2 years ago. The daily readings function worked from day one and after registering for half hourly readings , that function has worked faultlessly ever since. Draw your own conclusions. 

posted by WuzzaMan | A year ago
Just been pushed to take a SMETS1 by a telesales man. Also told me that Scottish Power's SMETS1 meters have been "upgraded" and the only difference now is that SMETS2 have a more powerful signal so they are only suitable for flats so there's no guarantee i'll get one. Technically rubbish! I don't believe him and i don't like being threatened!!