Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Re: SMETS I or SMETS II?

Hi Axon, From what I have read all the meters installed after this October must be Smets2. Smets2 reports to a central database called DCC, so it does not matter who your supplier is, they also have upgraded local signals for improved use with IHDs.

Smets1 reports to the individual supplier who installed it, so you cannot easily change suppliers, but it is said that in the future all Smets1 meters will be switched to report to DCC.

You can imagine DCC will be a huge database, run by a company called Capita on behalf of government. I don't want to be a Jonah, but you know what happens to huge national databases, so it is fingers crossed in a big way.

Highlighted

posted by Milliemandy | 4 months ago
Can anyone confirm if SMETSI or II are being installed by Scottish Power. Accepted an installation for Friday when asked to telesales person they made it sound as if SMETSII are being installed but I'm not convinced and think they are saying anything.

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

Probably Smets1, Government says no more smets1 after October. Smets 2 sends data to a government database, smets 1 sends data to SP, but that system will eventually change so all meters will send to the government site.

posted by DAVS | 4 months ago

I assume they are SMETSI also. I had them installed in February this year. They worked until 23rd March and have failed to produce any data since then.

The meters are almost as inept as the SP service team. Every time I call them to try and resolve the situation they keep telling me to reset my smart meter. Poor saps keep confusing the smart meters with the in-home display. What really irritates me is they are perfectly capable of communicating with the meter when they want to and can produce accurate meter readings on the fly. So I am lost as to why they cannot produce daily readings from them. 

I sincerely regret going away from my trusty old analogue meters and am at the point where I am likely to switch suppliers due to their Direct Debit algorythm playing havoc with my monthly payments.

My smart meter doesn't work anyway, so having a dumb meter is of little consequence after a switch. 

posted by Lizz | A month ago

Have been wrangling with SP since October/17 re GEN1 meter installed August/17.  Have wasted hours talking to various people about meter readings being sent from meters to SP. The Scottish Power App which I have installed for a time updated meter readings regularly, then they stopped displaying readings altogether. They then, through their App, ask me to send manual readings. My last quarterly bill was only for electricity and they estimated one for gas. I had been told by someone senior within SP  ustomer service that my meters would be replaced by the GEN11 meters in May of this year.  Another time I was told someone from the meter installation company would contact me but again that call failed to materialise. Have been a customer of SP for over twenty years but customer service is getting worse, so might consider purchasing my utilities elsewhere 

posted by Davc | A month ago

Hi Lizz. The problem is your gas meter is not talking to the electric mtere, see the attached diagram.

Smets1 meters, of which there are now millions installed, will not be replaced by Smets2, instead a software update will change the telephone number used to send the data. After the change they will send data to a Government database instead of to SP. In this way switching suppliers will no longer make them 'dumb'.

You should have the installer sent back to make sure the gas meter is correctly paired with the electricity meter.

posted by Lizz | A month ago

Thanks Davc for nice reply.  The diagram was helpful too.  Unfortunately SP has ignored my requests for the installer to check it out.  IHD doesn’t work either!! Prior to smart meter installation, always provided meter readings to SP, so no change there. Will be keeping an eye out for their software solution but won’t hold my breath.