Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMETS1 meter seems to be working again, though not submitting meter readings

posted by blongden | 4 weeks ago

As per subject, my SMETS1 meter is now smart again after months of being dumb after an erroneous transfer mess some time last year. The only thing it doesn't do is connect to SP to retrieve tariff details and submit meter readings. Is there anything that can be done to get this working again? Is there a way of telling if the meter is connected to DCC so SP can get access to the information?

Thanks!

3 comments

posted by DavC1 | 4 weeks ago
Re: SMETS1 meter seems to be working again, though not submitting meter readings

@blongden   Normally smet1 meters need special upgrades in order to work with DCC and a new provider.    SP customer services can tell you if your meter is sending them readings.

Top answer

posted by blongden | 4 weeks ago
Re: SMETS1 meter seems to be working again, though not submitting meter readings

Turns out you can check if your smart meter has been upgraded and is making data available to the network through DCC (https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/). Mine has been, and I I signed up to loop energy and can confirm that my smart meter data is available on the network.

Unfortunately, Scottish Power is still unable to take my meter readings from that data (nor can I see my historical energy usage through the website or the mobile app). I have no idea why and I don't seem to be able to get passed SP first line support. I'm sure they just need to relink my account with DCC.

posted by DavC1 | 4 weeks ago

@blongden     This is a familiar tale, SP have weak IT systems, and in order to talk to experienced staff you have to get past badly briefed service reps.   I guess you just have to wait until your account comes up in a long queue of similar accounts.