Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Power, what an awful, truly awful energy provider .....

posted by Unimpressed_LiL | 2 years ago

Finally and I can only blame myself for being stupid enough to be polite and accept what Scottish Power representatives have told me on numerous calls, I've decided to cut the cord and move away from what I can only describe as the worst energy provider I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.... From their handling of my account activation, to their customer services and all the way to their complaints escalation process, they truly are a terrible excuse for a business never mind a socially aware energy provider. I can only conclude that OFGEN have given up any hope of putting this company out of business.... As a mature person who's been using energy and dealing with providers through my course of my life, please take my word for it and stay away, well away from this company. Best of luck everyone, Alex 

17 comments

posted by whujohn | 2 years ago
Re: Scottish Power, what an awful, truly awful energy provider .....
Definitely agree ....smart meter don’t work can’t check gas usage .Bill got outer control having to turn heating off (Disabled partner) Sitting in the dark & other stuff to pay these PEOPLE off so can change supplier 😡

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

Sorry to hear that, sitting in the dark is not necessary, lights and TV use little power. The expensive item is heat, either room heating or hot water. Weather is getting warmer so your bills will get a lot lower between now and the autumn. Next winter only heat the rooms you use, and keep doors and windows closed.

posted by Brigid | 2 years ago

I have been mis-sold a tarriff by a "representative at a pop up stand" in Luton in December 2018. I was told I was being  put on an exclusive Saver Fixed December 2019 Online Tarriff. I was  led to believe by your representative that I would be paying a fixed amount via monthly Direct Debit, He at no point mentioned that the monthly direct debit was linked to usage. He told me expressly that the price quoted would be the price I was to pay until the end of the fixed term.

My son has now read the contract after my DD rose by nearly double and this has caused me great stress and anxiety. I am shocked that you would act in such an underhand and dishonest manner or allow your representatives to mislead potential customers I am appalled and shall switch away from your shockingly dishonest company as soon I am able to.

Hello Brigid. The sales rep should not have said that, but did you really believe you could use as much as you like and never pay more? A fixed contract fixes the unit costs but the more units you use the more you pay, I think it goes without saying doesn’t it?

posted by S2 | 2 years ago

What do I do?  A month ago I was contacted by Scottish Power with a significant adjustment to my payments which had spiralled out of control without my knowledge.  The smart meter thay had fitted had worked well foe a moth or so, so I assumed all ws well.  However, over a three month period it appeared that it hadn't worked, so I was suddenly presented with a horrendous hike in payments.  I made immediate adjustments to my energy usage, turning off appliances and turning down heating.  I was then asked to complete a survey (signed by Linda Clayton?) in which I gave an honest response and asked for the smart meter to  be removed before I would change supplier.  This has been completely ignored - not even an acknowledgement.  Where do I go from here?  Not easy to contact this shower.

Hi S2. They will not remove your meters unless it is proved they display false readings. If this were the case you need to initiate a problem with customer services, responding to market research letters does not lead to action. Sorry to say that meters are not to blame, it is up to you how you use the power and the meters only record what has happened.  

Smart meters not working? take manual readings and send them in so you can get an accurate bill and close your account. 

Hello S2, Is it your Display unit that has stoppped working?  If so it is a very common fault and will be fixed remotely with new firmware.  Check your bill to make sure your meter readings are not estimated, but probably your meters are  still successfully sending readings.  If this is so the smart system in your house does not need to be replaced.

posted by S2 | 2 years ago
Thanks for your helpful comments, Davc. I have tried today to submit readings, but the gas meter display is blank. A chapter of problems. Online chat failed to resolve the problem and suggested I should receive an email within 5 days.

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi S2.. Smart gas meter screens are always blank until you press a button to wake them up. Installers really should make sure everyone knows this.  If the button(s) give a range of different numbers select the one that corresponds to your recent estimates.