Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish power closed dual fuel account and opened a prepay account...

posted by Mike_Wilkinson | 5 months ago
Hi,

Having massive problems with my dual fuel account being closed without notice and a new prepayment electric account being setup.
I don't have a prepayment meter and never have.
My direct debit has been adjusted to half of what it should be (electricity is not being taken out), and I'm being told I owe £400 on a prepayment account with a standard tariff. I've rung three times, spent an endless amount of time in online chat, and the issue is still not resolved.

I'm now being asked for meter readings for an account that I don't recognise as mine...

Anyone else experiencing this, and is it being resolved.. Because I'm really starting lose patience....
11 comments

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Re: Scottish power closed dual fuel account and opened a prepay account...

Hi, your last bill should have told you about a debt.  When customers are switched to prepayment it is because they have fallen into debt. If this does not apply to you a major mistake has been made. Strange that they have not done the gas supply, did you have two separate accounts?  You need a conversation about this 0800 027 0072. 

Did you actually read the post... The account was closed without my knowledge, no warning. I pay by direct debit. This was reduced at the time of closing, it was the main reason I noticed. A new prepayment account has been opened for the electricity, they even tried to take money from my bank account with a new direct debit mandate, but it was refused by the bank as invalid. All without my knowledge or approval. There is no closing statement, merely a new statement from the new account that covers the period from 2015 to 2018 on a standard Tariff that says the prepayment account is in arrears by £400.00. I have rang three times, spoken on the online chat and emailed customer services, 4 weeks on and nothing...
Highlighted

Hi again Mike, the next step will be a man coming to give you a prepayment meter. If you pay the £400 SP might reverse the decision to change your account. I agree it is sudden and unexpected to change your account like that but it happens like that with accounts in debt. Are you disputing the £400?

Your really not getting this - My account was no more than £200 in arrears across both Gas & electric - it is a dual fuel account.That was also before a pending payment, Which would have brought the account to £60 in arrears, I had also just increased the Direct Debit to cover my annual projection of costs...

Nothing that hasn't happened before in the last 4 years.

There is no final statement. All that happens is that on the 21st Novemeber my inbox gets spammed by 4 years worth of statements for a prepayment meter that does not and never has existed. The Dual account is closed and is replaced with a GAS only account with the same account number and Direct Debit and a pre-payment account for electricty appears showing 4 years worth of payments and a remaining balance based on upon a standard Tariff over the last 4 years. So the balance is in dispute as it does not match the rest of my account records nor the the fact that I've been on fixed tarfiffs for the past 4 years.

All of which was acknowledged by their prepayment meter team over the phone, but after nearly 6 weeks now has not been actioned, and I've had no worthwhile reponse other than we are looking into your account. In the mean time, I cannot pay the electricity bill because the account type does not allow me to set-up a direct debit, and I don't partiuclarly want to as the £400 is based on a standard Tariff calculation dating back 4 years!!! when I clearly have the statements and proof within the closed account that for 50-60% of the year I'm generally in Credit!!!

Hello again Mike. Your situation sounds like a huge mistake has been made. Can you think of any reason that SP should should now talk about a PAYG meter? Did the previous house occupant have such a meter?  Could they be confusing you with a different person?  We can't help in the Community, you have to hammer it out by direct contact to SP.

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago

@Mike_Wilkinson I'm wondering if your account has been over-written by some desk jockey at SP tasked with bringing ExtraEnergy customers up to speed and he has either mixed up your name or your address with that of an ex-EE customer, deleting what you already had with SP. ExtraEnergy WAS set up 4 years ago...

Keep a track of your meter readings - maybe physically write everything down so if this becomes a protracted case you don't lose track of what's what... and personally, I would transfer some of my readies to a safe spot in preparation for when SP finally sort it out and re-instate your account... they'll come up with a new bill.

Make a note of your meters' MPANs and have them ready to ram down the CS throat when he says he doesn't know what you mean. If this IS a mix-up, your MPANs should identify and separate you and your account from the EE customer.

posted by Mike_Wilkinson | 4 months ago

So quick update - Still not resolved, virtually no communication back from Scottish power other than an email acknowledging the complaint and that there is a complex issue - no other details of what the issue is\was or what they are doing about it or timelines.  I've now raised to Resolver to see if that will spur things along.

I've looked through all of the statements inside the new Electricity account - I think you maybe right on the over write on my account as there appears to be regular monthly payments dating back to 2015, however all of the statement dates are 20/11/2018.

posted by shocking | 4 weeks ago

Hi there im having the same issue as you ...scottishpower closed my account 3rd feb  without my knowledge & opened up a new one... didn't even inform me about that .. no issues no debit  in fact i was £190 in credit  & they have taken direct debit since feb to june even though they closed my account in feb... i have all my bills meter readings ect to prove   ... i have just found this out 4 weeks ago only by going online to see my account closed ...endless calls to them ...have been told 4 times someone from expert advisour would call still waiting for a call ...im so angry... haven't a clue what there doing ...simple just open my account again ...i have taken this further have to wait 3/4 days ..called back this morning to find any updates ,,,was told now someones looking into it & it could take up to five day or more .. just have to wait see ...if or when they sort it out im going else where... have been with scottish power for 30years ... this is shocking the way they do business & treat their customers 

posted by Nickyl1968 | 4 weeks ago
Hi Mike,

Have you managed to get this sorted?

If not raise a complaint via 'Resolver' online.