Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter Display not showing correct tariff .. and is there an App?

posted by PeterWT | A year ago

My in house display is showing an approximate tariff to my actual (standard) tariff and has no standing charge shown. The bill shown is likely to be an approximation rather  than the true value so far. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Also as an aside, is there an app or part of the portal that shows daily consumption. I was under the impression that meter readings were uploaded daily but the portal and app just show the last bill. Adverts for smart meters whow fancy apps and graphs.

10 comments

Re: Smart Meter Display not showing correct tariff .. and is there an App?
I should add that the display unit is communicating with both meters since the KwH etc are being updated.

posted by  Gordon | A year ago

Hi @PeterWT, this is what should be shown. Your In Home Display will only show you the unit price for gas and electricity which excludes VAT and the standing charge (these will be included on your bill). 

Have you downloaded the YourEnergy app for your smartphone? You can go to Bills & Usage > My Usage > Smart Consumption to see your dailly breakdown, this is also available on the desktop website. 

Thanks Gordon for the quick reply. The instructions clearly show that the unit displays the standing charge (see https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/smart-meters/Smart-energy-display-user-guide.pdf). The KwH rates as well, don't correspond to the rates I was last charged ( as week or so back, I don't think they have been increased). For example the unit shows my gas as being 4p/KwH (+ vat) whereas I was charged 3.947p inc vat (3.759 + vat ay 5%). Similarly for electricity its not quite right.

I have the my energy app, it's not a bad looking app but the section you refer to only has the option for seasonal usage. No option for daiuly usage. I'm wondering if I have been actually set up correctly.

Thanks again, Peter

Hi Gordon, or support. Can you please offer a reason why I am not seeing the daily usage on my app or the site and why the tariff information is inaccurate on the unit. I had a very bad experience of Scottish Power taking months to repay excess charges and was on the brink of thinking maybe, it's not so bad. So far the smart meter experience is meh, please put me back into a happy frame of mind again before I just decide to go elsewhere.

Hi @PeterWT, sorry my mistake on the standing charges. It's just VAT or any additional discounts that are excluded as you have pointed out, thank you for correcting that. 

Would you mind taking a screenshot of what you can see in the app under the Smart Usage section? You should be able to see your daily consumption under the "Month" tab which shows a daily breakdown of each month. You can check what your reading frequency is currently set to by going to the app and going to Account Info, scrolling down and you will see the dropdown for the frequency. I personally have mine set to half hourly as I find it interesting to see the spikes during the day when the heating is on or when I'm cooking etc. 

For the unit price I'm going to ask one of our Smart Meter experts to have a look at this as it does sound like you might be seeing the wrong unit prices. Just bear with us over the new year break as there are fewer people around the office so may take a bit longer to get you a response. 

Hi, thanks for getting back. On the phone App there is no Smart Usage section, just "My Usage" that provides seasonal usage only (see attacgment). Similarly in the web portal, no option for daily usage. I also looked in the app and on the portal for a frequency dropdown but could not find any. The Account Info only has a section for Your Details and Update my Details. Nothing in the 'hamburger' menu either.

At a guess, I've had the meters but my account has not been updated. The tariff on the device is probably a default setting. It is notable that I never received any mail regarding the final readings on the old meter. I had to send them myself (good job I took a note of them, and they were higher than the estimated bill I was given ;(

I agree, once I hopefully get this sorted, I will set it to 30 mins too, also would be curious to see daily usage! I have to say, even with its faults I have beome much more consious (sp?) of energy usage - the point I could easily get OCD about it! Smiley Wink

Hi Gordon. Any thoughts on my issue with the Smart Meter.

Cheers, Peter

Highlighted

Hi @PeterWT, the Smart Team have applied a remote update to your IHD, can you check if now displaying the correct unit rates?

On the issues with the meters themselves not showing on your online account it sounds like the flows to our billing system have failed. Unfortunately it's not something the Community is able to help with, the best way to get this resolved is to send our customer service team an email to get them to do some work on your account. You can email them at www.scottishpower.co.uk/email or if you prefer call them on 0800 027 0072. Let me know how you get on.

posted by jeffherb | 5 months ago

I have changed from supplier from you to SSE. I know that due to my smart meter being first generation it cannot be read remotely anymore. Am I right in assuming that I cannot change my tariff settings myself? So this is another function that is lost when changing supplier?

@PeterWT wrote:

My in house display is showing an approximate tariff to my actual (standard) tariff and has no standing charge shown. The bill shown is likely to be an approximation rather  than the true value so far. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Also as an aside, is there an app or part of the portal that shows daily consumption. I was under the impression that meter readings were uploaded daily but the portal and app just show the last bill. Adverts for smart meters whow fancy apps and graphs.