Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter Reading Ridiculously High

posted by Paul_B | 4 months ago
So......my smart meter reading are becoming ridiculously high and very inconsistent from day to day to the point I have zero trust in them.

I live in a 3 bedroom house with 2 children. My usage readings go from 18kwh - 89kwh a day., however our activities don’t warrant such a huge variation. In fact, if we put every appliance on in the house for 24 hrs I doubt we would use 89kwh in a day. (Around £11.50).

Over the Easter weekend we went away for for a couple of nights. We turned everything off (apart from the fridge/freezer), everything at the mains just to see what the usage figure would be.....56&61kwh.....not in the house for 2 days, everything off and we “use” almost £16 in electric. How is that possible?

Anyone else have no faith in their not so smart meter?
6 comments

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Re: Smart Meter Reading Ridiculously High
Hi Paul. I suppose you are talking about the Display. They are very unreliable. Do check the actual meters to make sure your readings are normal.

Unfortunately not. I’m talking about the figures that appear on the app, which I assume are the actual reading?

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Thanks Paul. Sorry to say the App is dodgy as well. The real readings are on your meters and your internet account.

The guy I spoke to on the phone confirmed the app is fixed so the figures appearing on the app are pretty much what is being recorded on the meter. This is why I don’t trust any of readings. I didn’t take much notice of the IHD as I assumed it was wrong, but now I know it’s inline with the meter I find it baffling as to what it’s picking up. I have no faith in any of it.

posted by Moggy01 | A week ago
My smart metre is showing off the rickter scale readings when I have got up in the morning and not been using any electric. Not all the time but on a few occasions.... My bills also seem reflective of this. I also am in a 3 bed semi house. I don't understand how on the odd occasion my smart metre is reading a usage of 999999 😳
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A week ago

@Moggy01   Don’t worry it is only your display showing false readings. Your meters and bills are not affected, turn off the display and put it away, they often go wrong.