Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago
Re: Smart Meter Unit not working

@borneojoe66   All smart gas meters have blank screens, you have to press the  buttons to wake it up and take a reading.  So no need to tell your MP, just read your meter and send the reading to SP.

Highlighted

posted by grumpyxch | A month ago

Yesterday, I did what stormjohn suggested a few days ago. It worked. I now have an ihd that shows the correct time, and tells me what gas I have used today. However, it wont show me how much electricity I have used. The 'buttons' along the bottom of the screen don't seem to do anything - am I using them correctly? I just put my finger on the one I want, but nothing happens.

The displays on the meters themselves show a value when I try to read them, so at least they seem to be working. Its a shame SP cannot seem to be able to read my meters remotely, though does that require the ihd to be working correctly? I read the meters before I tried stormjohn's ihd fix.

Anyway, just to let stormjohn know he has at least one success (other than his own). Lets hope this ihd cure is a permanent fix.

Cheers. Stay safe

Highlighted

@grumpyxch  The Display unit plays no part at all in sending data, a lot of people think they are meters and they must always be turned on, but actually they are only passive monitors, the real meter does all the work.  If you want to you can turn off the display without stopping the meters from working.

Highlighted

posted by grumpyxch | A month ago

@Davc  As I suspected (the ihd being passive). I only tried stormjohn's process to try it, and it seems to have worked, or at least partially worked.

However, it is still a shame that SP cannot read my meters remotely any more. The gas meter is particularly difficult for me to access, which is why I went to smart meters. SP don't seem to be that bothered that they cannot read it any more, because they can sit back on giving me the choice of either reading it myself or having an estimated reading imposed on me.

@borneojoe66   If your gas meter does not display anything after pressing buttons it means it's battery has gone flat. Request a new battery to contactus@ ScottishPower.com. 

Highlighted

posted by xervix | A month ago
same here
Highlighted

posted by JanetBB | A month ago

My Smart meter reader has never worked. The engineer who fitted it told me that most people just put them in a drawer out of the way. I know why I've tried everything to get it to work. They are a waste of time and I prefered my old meter.

Highlighted

posted by tartanlad | A month ago

Over 2 years down the line and still waiting for this smart meter issue vto be sorted out. Scottish power are not in the least interested in sorting it, I think it is beacause they have not got a clue what to do. they keep telling me to send meter readings . Told them I a not employed by them to read meters so get someone out to do the job. To keep sending estimated readings they are breaking the law.

Highlighted

@tartanlad    When you took on your contract with SP you agreed to keep them supplied with meter readings.   These days it is the customers duty to read the meters.   In your own interest get rid of the estimates, you may be being charged too much. 

Highlighted

posted by tartanlad | A month ago

My contract was taken out when they had all meter readers so mget the facts correct I signed up for nothing regarding reading meters. Sp implied that you had to have smart meters  not the customers if they do not work as they should it is their responceability to make sure they get a correct reading. ckeck this with  citizens advice , the meter is SP property not the customers.