Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by CathR | 12 months ago
Re: Smart Meter Unit not working

Is this even being addressed?? I have just had to climb ladders to input my top up manually!! I can assure you, that was a pain in the ass! NOT impressed! Fix the connection issues PLEASE!!!

posted by Phil11 | 4 months ago

I joined Scottish Power in January..My previous supplier fitted my smart metered.From day one my gas smart meter has never worked..How can I get this resolved as have to manually put my gas meter readings in every month.Otherwise the system will estimate it! Thanks.

posted by DavC1 | 4 months ago

@Phil11   Hi,   Yes it's a common problem that smart meters need manual reading if you switch suppliers.  The modern smart meters 'smets2' version should be able to handle the change, but if your meter is more tha 2 years old it is probably 'smets1' which can't handle a supplier change.   Why only your gas?  If the electric meter is sending readings it means your gas meter was not connected correctly. The electric  meter handles all the communications.  Or maybe SP have not realised that you have a smart gas meter??    It's worth asking customer services about this. 0800 027 0072

posted by Phil11 | 4 months ago

Thanks for the reply, when they installed the gas meter the electric connected ok but the gas would not, the engineer said , it's not connected,and I would need to contact the energy supplier,to get someone out to fix it..Then we went into a yr lockdown 🤒. ScottishPower is showing on my inside box but gas one is not so will call that number that you put down.

posted by JClark | 4 months ago

Last Friday (28/05/2021) I had a PAYG electric smart meter fitted.

This afternoon (03/06/2021) I noticed that the display unit had "frozen), the time display was not advancing and was stuck at 13:02, this was at 15:00.

As per the FAQs, I powered the unit down, waited a few minutes and powered it up again. The unit seemed to go through its start up sequence OK and it had a strong Wi-Fi signal. The time display was at 0:00 and the Balance display showed four dashes and "Waiting for balance".

After fout hours it was still displaying the above and I decided to reboot the device again (17;00), the same sequence happened and at the writing of this post the display is still not showing any data.

posted by DavC1 | 4 months ago

@JClark   On new smart meters the monitor often loses contact  several times in the first few weeks as the system gets firmware upgrades from  the supplier.  This is inconvenient on credit accounts, but quite serious on PAYG accounts because it makes topups more difficult.   The unit will come back to life and when it does put in a good amount of credit to last you in case it fails again.  After a few weeks it should settle down so that it is always available.

posted by Bobby1 | 3 months ago
Commissioning the gas meter, electric meter, modem and IHD; would mean connecting each to the HAN which would require setting a name and password (like WiFi) by setting them on each of the devices menus. I don't think this can be done remotely.
If the gas meter is too far from the modem (on top of the electric meter) the IHD may bridge the gap. If you gas meter was 100m from your electric meter, placing your IHD 50m from both may be enough.

The gas meter, electric meter, modem and in-house-display IHD are connected by an HAN ZigBee wireless/radio mesh network (each device is a router). ZigBee is like a cross between WiFi and Bluetooth.
The modem (attached to the top of the electric meter) communicates meter reading to Scottish Power over a mobile phone network run by Capita DCC. System updates are sent by DCC to your modem and meters. Pricing is sent by Scottish Power over the DCC network.

posted by Bobby1 | 3 months ago
I would check your account through the ScottishPower web-site Energy usage panel and Submit meter readings panel tell you roughly the last time meter readings were sent to Scottish Power. These meter readings pass though a mobile phone network (WAN) run by Capita DCC.

The devices in your home communicate over a ZigBee HAN mesh network (a bit like WiFi but each device is its own router). These devices can currently be meters (gas, electric, and water), modem attached to top of electric meter, and in-home-display (IHD); but should (soon) include boiler/heating, A/C, washing machine, car charger, house battery charger, and other big energy users.
Electricity should be priced by availability - wind blowing then cheaper electricity - a message over WAN to the modem will send a message over HAN, the electricity meter to switch to cheaper tariff, your hot-water to heat (to higher temperature), your car to charge faster, your tumble dryer to start, etc.

posted by drasim | A month ago

Hi,

Moved into a new built property with smart meters installed by Scottish power. Scottish power is energy supplier of  the property. Smart meters, for gas and electricity are not sending readings to supplier and inhome display unit is also not connected to meters. I caled scottish power's different teams(customers services & smart meter team) few times and they advised to wait as an engenier vivist has been requested to fix problem. It is more than a month now waiting for this visit. Can it be expedited.

Thank You

posted by KCB1 | 2 weeks ago
IHD NOT WORKING FITTED 28 AUGUST 2021

I am very disapointed with Scottish Power ("SP"). I have had a Smart Meter fitted as a condition of my tariff on Friday 27 August 2021. The IHD is still not working. I rang up SP today  on 0800 027 0072 and after 30 minutes was told that my unit must be faulty and I would need a new IHD. However, they are out of stock until end of September.

I feel I have now been conned because I would not have agreed to a smart meter if no IHD was available. This is appaling customer service.