Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Meter Unit not working

posted by SallyC | A year ago

I had a smart meter installed on 20th December.  Yesterday it lost connection and displayed a series of dashes.  I left it until today to see if it reconnected, but it had not. 

I have now followed the FAQ’s and turned the SM unit off and repowered it up in my kitchen and also in the outside cupboard where the electric/gas meters are sited with the main Smart Meter.  Nothing has happened.  

I have tried this on and off all day, leaving it 30 minutes at a time for it to display all information.

It is just not working and this is very frustrating.  I am seriously not impressed with this unit and have not the time in the day to mess about trying to reconnect it.

27 comments

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter Unit not working
Hi @SallyC, sorry to hear that the reboot you performed didn't seem to work, this is what we would normally advise customers to do when their in home display loses connection. Can I double check if the issue has now rectified itself? If not I'd recommend you contact our customer service team who will be able to help you rectify this issue. You can email them using this webform https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/contact/email.process?execution=e2s1 or by phone on 0800 027 0072

posted by anitam2003 | A year ago

We had our smart meter fitted in 27th December, did exactly the same last night, just dashes on displat

posted by JeffT | A year ago

I have had my Smart meter for just over a week the signal strenth indicator is only a dot. I have to take it to about 1.5m from the meter before I get the full indicator showing. It looses signal regularly. Very disappointing.

posted by goodie | A year ago

Mine stopped working after a week, it has since been temperamental and has now given up completely. If you look at the back you will see the problem very clearly....”made in China”

Completely  useless meter. I am moving soon and will not be having another one.

posted by Phenedorah | 7 months ago
How interesting to read this! Mine has not worked since day 1. Today customer services have advised that they cannot issue a new monitor. They may however be able to resolve by fitting gen2 smart meters. After taking a day off from work 6 months ago, my answer is sort it or will be changing to a new supplier. @@

posted by Davc | 7 months ago
Hi Phene changing supplier will not help it will just make your meters stop sending data. Your IHD may well be not working but that does not mean the meters are not working. You can check the meters are sending data if you ring SP and ask them if they are receiving.

posted by BobB | 7 months ago

They are obliged to replace the IHD if it fails within a year, just quote the code of practice at them.  Unfortunately, right now, they dont have any replacements left - so I am told, nor will they fix the smart meter their software patch turned dumb, so although there is a code of practice written to cover all of this, it appears not to be worth the paper its written on if they wont adhere to it.

posted by dw4481 | 7 months ago
I’m having exactly the same issue mine was fitted the 8th December and only worked for a week

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

Do you mean the IHD monitor or the real meters?   You can turn off the IHD and the meters will still send their data.