Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter incorrect readings with solar pv system

posted by Mike99 | A year ago
32 comments

Smart Meter incorrect readings with solar pv system

Hi

I've had a solar pv system installed for over 6 years. In October last year, my meters were 'upgraded' to be smart meters. 

Since then, my reported electricty consumption has rocketed - it reports that I've used over 2 times my toal previous year's consumption in the last 6 months.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and has it been resolved?

I'm awaiting any real action from Scottish Power. Having complained several times to customer service, the issue has just been escaleated to be an official 'complaint', so we'll see what happens next...

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter incorrect readings with solar pv system

My smart meter install has been flawless, but there are several people on here complaining about their metered usage apparently increasing.

Have you tried manually logging your meter readings every day for a week and seeing if it looks reasonable?  It would be interesting to see if the actual metered usage is way more than expected, or if it's just a problem with the IHD calculation.  Does your IHD show the correct standing charge and unit cost for your current tariff?

Hi

To be honest, I'm just looking at kWh and as mentioned, the meter suggests we've used more than twice as much energy in the last 6 months as we used in the previous 12.

I googled the issue and found an article in the Telegraph regarding someone with a similar issue and it went on to indicate in a survey that over half the respondents with solar panels were having issues after smart meter installations. Some energy suppliers will not fit them when solar panels are in place until 'technical difficulties' are overcome.

Yes, I'm checking our usage much more frequently now to get a better idea of what's happening. But you have solar panels and you've not noticed any change in your reported electricity usage since the smart meter was installed? How long ago was it installed?

posted by Davc | A year ago

Don't know if this is the answer but I suspect that, with the old meter, electricity was the net consumption after crediting the solar pv, with the new smart system it is recording the 'gross' consumption and your FIT is sent in separately to be credited to  your account. Would this be a possible explanation? If you generate a bill you should see if the credits are coming through.

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago

I don't have solar panels so can't offer any direct experience.  But I've been researching them recently due to also just purchasing an electric car.

I see this tweet shows a photo of the same IHD as we use, and it is showing negative "usage now" with an export symbol.  We can't be sure if they are using the same Elster AS300P meter as Scottish Power install, but at least it seems that our IHD is able to directly handle a net export.

What happens if you turn off everything in your house on a sunny day?  What does the IHD show as your "usage now"?

With the way the PV system is wired in, it should be our primary source of electricity if it's generating at the time. Any excess goes to the grid and if we're not generating we take power from the grid. In that respect, I believe new and old meters are behaving similarly, except it appears sometimes with the new meter, we are maybe not always able to use our generated energy - this is the avenue we're investigating further right now.

Hi Hooloovoo
We normally have our IHD set to usage now in pence per hour, so it wouldn't flag up a negative as such, but I may switch to that setting out of interest.
I've tested recently in sunny conditions and it's not conclusive - sometimes it seems we can harness our generated energy and sometimes not. I think we need to wait for some technical expertise to arrive and assess the situation.

posted by kelace | A year ago
Can I ask if you got a resolution to this problem? I’m having similar problems and desperate for any advice.
Solar panels fitted in 2015 worked perfectly well until new smart meter fitted 2017. Since meter changed my electric usage literally shot up over night! I have compared data pre solar panels/post solar panels and post smart meter and it’s seems clear for whatever reason the electric generated in daylight is not being used. Scottish Power day this is not possible and refuse to investigate so I’m now £200 in debit (never been in debit before) and my direct debit has doubled in price. Sorry to hijack the post just hoping for any advice at all from your story.
Highlighted

Hi

Don't apologise for hi-jacking my post as your experience is totally relevant. So far I have no resolution. Currently I have a check-meter fitted which is tracking the readings from the Smart Meter. It's been in for 2 of the 3 weeks planned and unfortunately these 2 meters are pretty much correlating with each other. The check-meter is another digital meter and my question to Scottish Power before they fitted it was, if the Smart Meter can't deal prioperly with a solar installation, what confidence do we have that the check-meter will see it any differently? But it seems we have to go through this step to get to the next one.

Like you, I have charts showing how my electricity usage fell after my solar panels were fitted - and since the Smart Meter was fitted, our reported daily usage is heading back up towards our pre-solar days. So clearly something is wrong, but we don't know exactly what...

A couple of questions for you - have you noticed any change to your generation output since your Smart Meter was fitted? And does either your Smart Meter or your IHD indicate when you're generating?

The answer to both the above for me is No. My IHD has an icon which in principle can be lit if I'm supplying power to the grid, but it never is. I've seen images of other people with the same IHD with the icon lit indicating how much power is going back to the grid. The fact that this doesn't happen seems to me to show some level of incompatability and who knows the consequence? After the current testing, I'll be pushing for my meter to be replaced, but we'll see what happens...