Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter problems

posted by BobP | A month ago
After being pestered with email and text messages I agreed to having a smrt meter installed
This happened last Wednesday, March 27th.
The guy that did it was pleasant and did a good job.
However he did no hand over and just said the meter is working but there’s no signal so the display and smart meter functions won’t work, it will get fixed at some point in the future.
He then handed me a small cardboard box and said you might need that at some point in the future and left.
After he left I opened the box to find the display and power adapter inside, no instructions, I plugged it in but it goes into demo mode.
So I called the help desk and explained the situation, the person I spoke to got me to try a few things but it made no difference, he then said ‘leave it plugged in and switched on as they can take up to 4 weeks to start working’

Is this true?

I must say that overall your service has been awful.
12 comments

posted by Davc | A month ago
Re: Smart Meter problems

Hi Bob   You have been treated very badly. The installation was not commissioned and the IHD display has not been paired with the meter so it will not work until a fitter comes to complete the work. All you have now is conventional meters that must be read manually.  You must insist that the job is finished correctly. Appalling.

posted by BobP | A month ago

Thanks Dave, i will have another go at calling them.

posted by Suzie123 | A month ago

Hi waited all day for metre to be installed not heard anything so want to cancel

posted by tonydonut | A month ago

I had a smart meter fitted last month and the installer had no idea how to operate or interrogate the display unit. I have to say that the display is the most useless piece of junk i have seen in years. We are in 2019 and a display unit that has to be connected to a 3 pin plug is not my idea of technology. It is also not very "smart",  as most things i need to be able to log it does not show and it is nearly always off signal. It is clearly only meant as a way for reducing jobs (meter readers) in the longer term

@BobP wrote:
After being pestered with email and text messages I agreed to having a smrt meter installed
This happened last Wednesday, March 27th.
The guy that did it was pleasant and did a good job.
However he did no hand over and just said the meter is working but there’s no signal so the display and smart meter functions won’t work, it will get fixed at some point in the future.
He then handed me a small cardboard box and said you might need that at some point in the future and left.
After he left I opened the box to find the display and power adapter inside, no instructions, I plugged it in but it goes into demo mode.
So I called the help desk and explained the situation, the person I spoke to got me to try a few things but it made no difference, he then said ‘leave it plugged in and switched on as they can take up to 4 weeks to start working’

Is this true?

I must say that overall your service has been awful.

posted by MrsMRKent | A month ago

I had a smart meter a year last November still not commissioned have phoned to you loads of times still no result, I am going to look for another supplier had enough. Also was told it didn't need to be commissioned for you to take a reading, what's hapoening, your now telling me I owe you money, not hapoy

posted by Davc | A month ago
Hi Mrs Kent. Is it the meters that are not commissioned or the display unit. It is true the display unit is not necessary for the meters to send their readings.

posted by keiran123 | A month ago
I got a smart meter installed 2weeks ago and they owe me £114 that i was in credit
With before it got installed and was told on friday there it would be on in an hours time,which am still waiting on and my meter is down to £2-59 now,i can't get the top up on my ph as your company has done something to remove it,nothing nut hassle,they say smart meters r better i don't agree atall and am very unhappy as i don't even know how to get my emergency credit as no one has explained anything to us and i don't know how to work this device that has to be plugged in so i know how much i have init,shocking and very bad communication,no book or anything to tell u how to use it,a very unhappy customer and if it doesn't get fixed shortly i will be moving company's as i see alot of these complaints r all shocking ???
Highlighted

posted by Julesbateson | 4 weeks ago

Had a smart meter fitted 2days ago,have been panicking as its telling me I've used £17 in one day.Tried to find contact number to no avail and find it quite disgusting that I have to rely on finding answers through this community to reassure me rather than the company themselves.

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago

Hi Jules, I expect you have read that the IHD display is hopeless at £ values, but does give accurate kWh readings. Don’t worry about the high cost shown, it is not your bill.