Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter recently installed and now suddenly stopped working

@Zover   The meter readings go to SP by mobile phone signal, they go to the Display on a different short range local radio signal. The displays often go wrong and lose their connection.

posted by Zover | A year ago
@Davc. So as long as the smart meter satisfys SP that's ok? You said it yourself displays often go wrong. So they should not be issuing them to customers. SP seem quite happy to hand out a substandard product and do not care when you contact them over it. I have cancelled my direct debit and will be switching provider.

posted by JohnsD | A year ago

This situation is a real scandal and complete waste of money for  customers involved and for SP..

I had a partilal 'smart meter' (electricity meter only) installed on 22 April 2019 but still await the installation of the required gas meter. I therefore still have to send readings for the gas meter online and periodicallly a SP representitive calls to read it.

Around three weeks of having the electricity meter installed the IHD failed. I have since reported this twice only to be told it would be noted and replaced ASAP. The IHD is now useless and does nothing to help with energy managrment. I can only hope that the data registered on the meter and that used for billing is correct.

The gas meter I have been told will be fitted in 2003. What does that mean, anytime from Jan To Dec  ????

What absolute shambles and rediculously poor customer service.

However from what I have read and understand it is a common situation irespective who the energy supplier is. That however is no excuse for the way SP is dealing with the issue.

posted by JohnsD | A year ago

Correction to above - Gas meter will be installed in 2020 

These IHD’s are a total ripoff. You contact SP and they just give you the run around.

posted by littlephoto | A year ago
I had my smart meter for electricity fitted on the 14th of Nov. I got up today and it’s not working. I’ve been told via the chat on the app and on the phone there is nothing SP can do they can’t replace the IUD at the moment. The also can’t explain why, just told me to ring back in January. Very poor customer service at the very least they could explain why it will take so long to replace it or why it’s stopped working. From what I’ve read on here this seems to be a major issue for many of their customers. SP should be ashamed of themselves.

posted by Sugaree | A year ago

It's not the meters that are the problem, it's the network. When you contact your supplier you should ask if they are still getting readings directly from the meters and NOT estimates.

posted by Sugaree | A year ago
No, I'm sorry. I've been doing this intermittently for the past 17 months. I've had the display sitting either on top or directly in front of, 3" away, the meter and it still won't connect. I've been given the run around and I was told I needed an update which would be forthcoming... that was in April. I've asked several times about a replacement, but that's a non runner as the display isn't the problem. If you live in certain parts of the UK, I believe it's the northern half (gawd only knows where the line is) then you are pretty well stuffed because they use a different network. I don't know why, but they do.

posted by Davc | A year ago

@Sugaree      The meters send data to the supplier by mobile phone signal. In the North they are using a new dedicated mobile phone signal instead of EE  O2 or the other commercial networks. This does not influence your home Display which gets its signal by a very short range radio connection to the meters. The trouble with the displays is that providers keep upgrading the communications to bring Smets1 meters inline with Smets2 standards. This often stops the displays from working correctly, it is very common at the moment, you can turn off the display and try it again after a few months to see if it works by then. Despite the advertising on tv the home display is not the main purpose of smart meters, it is to automate meter readings and eventually bring in time of day tariffs. 

Davc. The way that you peddle this rubbish makes me think that you're working for SP. The thing that is consistent in this thread is the the IHD's don't work, SP  know this but just keep palming customers  off. 

I told SP that I want someone to come around and fix it, they told me that it would be around February, I then requested a time and date, to which they said that I would have to wait until February before I could make an appointment, so I then said so there won't be an appointment in February it will be after that, they said yes. and that they were not talking anymore appointments until then. Telling customers to put it in the drawer and try it again in a few months is bull**bleep**.

I am now changing supplier