Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Zover | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter recently installed and now suddenly stopped working

As long as the the meter works for SP by sending them the readings they don't care. 

posted by Davc | A year ago

@Zover   Hope your display starts working again soon. It’s not that customer service don’t care, they just cannot help you. Smart display problems are going on across  all suppliers, there are so many generations  and brands of meters and displays  out there it is very hard to get the communication right for every situation.   

@Davc These devices should never have been on the market in the first place. If you sell someone a car and the speedo doesn't work you would send it back. There are many generations of mobile phones in use, if them phones didn't work people would rightly so send them back as they are not fit for purpose. SP should not be giving these to customers if they are not fit for purpose.

@Zover   True what you say, but the displays are disabled in a temporary way, and they will get remotely upgraded.  In nearly all cases they did work when first installed. It is like having a computer that stops because it has not got the most recent upgrades, a lot of modern gadgets have these problems.  

@Davc If a modern gadget stopped working 2 hours after being installed people would send it back. Most households pay more than £100 a month on energy. This is more than an average Sky TV package, if sky didn't provide the service that they claimed people would want their money back. I'm under no illusion that closing my account early that SP will still fleece me for the early closure fees. This is a total shake down.

@Zover    Best wishes to you with your new supplier. SP will charge you £30 per fuel to leave before contract ends, it is not fleecing, it is your decision to leave while in contract. Remember to take manual readings from your smart meter and send it to the new company because it will no longer transmit automatically. Some companies like Bulb will pay your SP exit fees. 

@Davc  It is fleecing you as they have offered you something that they know that they could not provide and then pretend that they could not understand what went wrong . If you acknowledge that you have made a mistake you should try everything to put that right, SP just seem to laugh it off and move on to ripping off the next customer

Scottish Power should be on Rogue Traders, because that is excatly what they are. Lure you into a contract, then can't deliver on it,  only to shake you down afterwards when you want to leave. It's sick.

posted by Sugaree | A year ago
Yes, except the displays don't connect and they won't be replaced. And as for the meters still sending out signals to the supplier... I have a letter from EDF asking if I want to complain to the ombudsman because I wasn't informed that as of August they've been working on estimates from my gas meter due to it not sending readings. The electricity still works though... as far as I'm led to believe.

posted by Sugaree | A year ago
Changing supplier won't make much difference. I've just left EDF and their display chucked it 17 months ago. Just before I left I was also informed that my gas meter had stopped sending readings in August. The display is just to give you a clue as to what you're using. They promised too much on a substandard system.