Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Re: Smart Meter recently installed and now suddenly stopped working
@MartynS. It is not a unique problem to SP. Because meters in general often get firmware upgrades the displays can lose contact. Often the connection comes back again after a few weeks. The introduction of smart systems has been poorly managed. There are too many brands of meters and displays with different standards
Highlighted

posted by Artificer | 3 months ago

How to reset the In-Home Diplay: This fix was found by chance but it did work. If your IHD has stopped working and the "WiFi" icon is flashing suggesting the link with the meter is down, try this. Switch the power off the IHD and leave it until the battery runs out of power and it shuts down. It will take a few hours to exhaust the battery. Only when its fully dead switch the power back on and wait for it to run up and connect with the meter. Eventually it will revert to normal working.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

@Artificer   Yes that often works but equally often the connection does not return until the next meter program updates are sent out by SP.  (Its not Wifi, but it is a short range radio signal similar to Bluetooth)

Highlighted

posted by Artificer | 3 months ago

Yes I'm aware it's not Wifi, hence the quotation marks. But for many people it will just mean the radio link. My IHD recovered after the first loss of connection all on its own after about four days, I assumed that was a software update outage. But this time it was off for about 2 weeks before I switched it off and forgot to turn it back on. When I noticed it was dead I switched it on and bingo! I should have said the IHD was also auto restarting continuously; "waiting for data" when the link was down.

This is basic electronics reset stuff. Some user info on how to reset the beast should be given in the leaflet left with the customer. A removable battery would make it easier.

Highlighted

posted by Lizeryork | A month ago
This has happened to mine too. I've tried calling and not been successful.
Highlighted

posted by Artificer | A month ago

A fter succesfully restarting the IHD a few months ago I thought all was well. It went down again about two weeks ago and switching it off and letting the battery go flat has not cured it this time. I assume it will come back eventually but I'm fed up watching the lighst flashing all day so I'm swiching it off daily and switching it on on the morning to see if its back. Mostly now its off. But I'm quite confident that the readings are being sent to SP, it is just an IHD problem so no big deal.

Highlighted

posted by Zover | A month ago

They're a total waste of time and Scottish Power have done nothing to rectify it.

Highlighted

posted by MartynS | A month ago

I agree. I always said that the smart meters are a useful addition because of the automatic sending of data so that meter reading becomes a thing of the past.  I also said that I would probably never use the IHD.  My original thought was that SP and other companies  'sold'  smart meters on the basis that the householder could get an instant reading of power being used and that this enabled him/her to save power; a bit rediculous because no-one is going to turn off the kettle or the fridge to save power but, none the less, that was the basis on which they were 'sold' .  The fact that the IHDs do not work makes a mockery of this policy.  I have no idea where mine is and I am not about to go and look for it.  Stay safe.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago

@MartynS   True comments, the industry decided to tell customers they need the Display units, firstly you do not need them, and secondly they do not work anyway.

The real reason for smart meters is to inroduce variable tariffs at peak or low demand times to control consumption.

Highlighted

posted by Sugaree | A month ago

Just because your IHD has stopped working doesn't mean your "Smart" meter still is. My IHD stopped a while ago and so did my smart gas meter. I didn't find out for about a year (this was EDF) and then it started working again (not the IHD). I moved to SP who then assured me they were getting both readings. Unfortunately they aren't. NB. I have a 1st gen. "Smart" meter.