Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by stephT | 8 months ago
Re: Smart Meter recently installed and now suddenly stopped working

Ours was installed 17 August 2020. After a age installing it the guy left, no instructions on use but told to look on youtube! Also told the gas would take 24 hours to register on the display. It took 24 hrs to register the electricity and the gas never showed up once. Three days ago the display was showing a power draw og 2.5Kw with only a few LED bulbs on at the home, plus fridge and freezers etc. usualy about 260 Watts. It stayed like this for hours until I reset it, then it just constantly reboots itself after saying its waiting for details. I stood outside the utility boxes with the door open and still nothing.

Scothish Power recommend turning the unit off for a week and leave it asclose to the meter as possible. When I asked the guy how will it connect if unpowered he said it does not work like that, it uses an ifrared beam to connect to the meter. Well buddy, infra red is line of sight with no obstructions. Shocking reply. Im giving it a few days then turning it back on and calling back. These meters are pathetic as seems the customer service with Scotish power. Their App does not even let me track usage online, only shows billing and tries to get me to buy products from them. Worst company we switched too.

posted by Zover | 8 months ago
I’m sure Davc will be along soon to make excuses for SP. I still haven’t got the meter that I was told that I would get in March

posted by Sugaree | 8 months ago

I'm fighting with them to leave. I switched tariffs via the SP website. The switch went haywire. Instead of a dual fuel switch it only switched one of them, electricity I think. I spent several 30 minute + phone calls to them over lockdown in response to e-mails and phone calls looking for money I didn't owe (as I hadn't left them). I was assured in July that it had been rectified and was given numbers, over the phone, which sounded quite reasonable, although when I checked my account it wasn't quite up to date. I've recently checked my account.

When I left EDF in November, EDF supplied a figure of 3149 for electricity. In March, SP took a reading they classed as SMART, it had a (s) beside the reading so I'm guessing they were able to access the meter for a reading (option 2 is it was a lie & option 3 was I have been lied to). On May 17th my electricity was estimated at... 733. According to SP the Smart meter readings were discarded because "it wasn't their meter so we won't use it" and their "Systems" decided on an estimate of 2416 points BELOW what was given to them by a previous supplier 6 Winter months previous. Why is this allowed?? As others have said, Rogue Traders. This is nothing short of scandalous. What on earth possessed the "system" to think this was acceptable? It's not good enough to blame their "systems" as these are programmed and put in place by humans. Someone must have given this "system" the OK, but I don't expect to get an suitable answer to any of these questions. To put it mildly, I'm apoplectic. Never again, Scottish Power are now on the list with Legal & General.

@stephT wrote:

Ours was installed 17 August 2020. After a age installing it the guy left, no instructions on use but told to look on youtube! Also told the gas would take 24 hours to register on the display. It took 24 hrs to register the electricity and the gas never showed up once. Three days ago the display was showing a power draw og 2.5Kw with only a few LED bulbs on at the home, plus fridge and freezers etc. usualy about 260 Watts. It stayed like this for hours until I reset it, then it just constantly reboots itself after saying its waiting for details. I stood outside the utility boxes with the door open and still nothing.

Scottish Power recommend turning the unit off for a week and leave it asclose to the meter as possible. When I asked the guy how will it connect if unpowered he said it does not work like that, it uses an ifrared beam to connect to the meter. Well buddy, infra red is line of sight with no obstructions. Shocking reply. Im giving it a few days then turning it back on and calling back. These meters are pathetic as seems the customer service with Scotish power. Their App does not even let me track usage online, only shows billing and tries to get me to buy products from them. Worst company we switched too.

posted by Darren180913 | 2 months ago
Had smart meters installed, within 1 day the smart device stopped working saying searching for balance.... The app is also not accurate and top ups through the app are not working . It's clearly an issue with the app communicating with sp. Customer services don't care they just say top up with barcode at payzone which is exactly same as I was doing with a key meter...

So it's exactly same but now I have a barcode instead of a key complete waste of time and not very smart at all....

Don't waste your time with customer services I was told they wouldn't replace my smart device as I'm just a prepay customer. Even though it stopped working in 24hours. I wish I hadn't got a smart meter and do feel I was conned a bit by telling me you can top up in your phone which wasent the case, it's clear there is an issue they are aware of

posted by Jools78 | 2 months ago
Mine was exactly the same. I had it working for 2 months then it stopped working. When I topped up it didn’t go on to the meter, my children were sat at home when the electricity went off as the emergency didn’t kick in. It was one of the coldest days of the year and they were left with no heating or internet until I got back in from work. Anyways every time I rang up CS I got told something different. They then have me a 21 digit code to put into meter to activate my credit. I had to do this 3 times even though I kept telling them the meter was not accurate. I was then told that the meter has not worked since 06/01 and the signal from my meter to Scottish power main comp as the same so they couldn’t see what was going on. I have received a new meter it took 1 hour instal. The guy said it’s not a pre payment meter so I needed to ring up to discuss my options. 3 weeks later SP still can’t “find” my meter on the system as it hasn’t activated!!!!!!?????? I have also put a formal complaint in and was told the complaints dept would ring me back. I am still waiting. I wish I had kept my old meter this smart meter is not smart it’s crap just like the sp Custer service!!!

posted by Ken742 | A month ago
Buying a 🏠 smart meter has not given a reading for 2 years say the can't repair due vivid empty house meter on wall outside other company's are working on meters what a crap company