Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter recently installed and now suddenly stopped working

posted by ceden | A year ago

Hi, is anyone able to help? We recently had a smart meter fitted and all was going well until suddnely one day it suddenly lost signal and stopped working. We have tried turning it off and back on near to the meters to see if it would reconnect but nothing... we've even left it off for over an hour to see if it would reboot but still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do? Thanks!

9 comments

posted by paulac | 8 months ago
Re: Smart Meter recently installed and now suddenly stopped working

Ours has done same after about 1 -2 weeks of working it then started displaying rubbish. I have now unplugged it and put it in cupboard. Spent last 20 mins on website trying to find out how to get it sorted.

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

It is not your smart meter you are talking about it is your In Home Display or IHD. The smart meters are probably still working well. The IHD needs a good charge on its battery, or to be plugged in, also it needs to be quite close to the actual electricity meter. To reset it it turn it right off by holding down the power button for 10 seconds and then power it back on again, it should work.

posted by Ed | 7 months ago

Hi There,

We had the smart meters installed as well. It all worked well in the begining and the best feature I found was the ability to submit readings from the app. 

Unfortunatelly about 3 months ago the smart meters stopped communicating with the plugged in device and the app. 

Now all is back to "old school" meter reading. 

Please help find a solution to this. 

P.s.

(I do understand that this is a very "first world problem", however if the feature should be working I would rather it did than not)

Best wishes

Ed

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

Hi Ed, It could be that your smart meters are still sending data to SP even though they are not showing on the App. You can ask SP if they are getting data 0800 027 0072.

There is a well reported problem with the App not working, it is apparently the interface between Accounts and the App that needs to be fixed securely.  Strange though that your IHD has stopped, so maybe your meters are at fault. Why did you send manual readings before this problem? Did you think the meters were not transmitting?  Attached diagram shows how the system should be working.

Highlighted

posted by Jules0804 | 3 months ago

Also having issues with Smart Meter Display not showing correct information and Gas has now stopped showing anything on the display.

The Smart Meter that Scottish Power installed has terrible graphics which are hard to understand and no matter how many times I push the reset button it will not turn off or reset so I have to leave it until the battery runs out.

Can Scottish Power replace the Display Unit ?

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hi Jules, a lot of the IHD display units are giving problems right now, just unplug it and put it away in a drawer, it does not influence the meters sending their readings. After 3 months or so try it again and hope they have sorted out the systems. You do not want a replacement IHD, it would have to be paired again to your meters by an installer and I doubt it would be any better than what you have now.

posted by Richiepoor | A month ago
Since we had our meters installed, our gas meter has not worked. I've contacted Scottish power a number of times and still nothing . I am very disappointed by the service I have been given. Today I received an email saying I need to submit a reading even though I told them I couldn't.

posted by Davc | A month ago

You must go to your gas meter, not the hand held display, press the buttons on the meter until you find a meter reading on its small screen. Send in the reading and all will be well.

posted by stevefredtaylor | 3 weeks ago

It’s a very common problem,

What a waste of time money and effort. Second generation. Had it installed for a week and it’s packed up. Reboot os as good as a chocolate teapot. Why don’t they stop pedalling rubbish tilthey can sort out bog standard technical issues. Into the bin never to be seen again!

The waste appalls me. Leave out the marketing and concentrate on the product