Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage

posted by LynnCam | A year ago

Hi - has anyone else had an issue with the Smart Meter registering incredible electricity usage?  I had mine installed in August - my latest bill is the 1st with all electricity via the Smart Meter and it's showing that I am using 50kw per day, over 4000kw in the last quarter - that's more than I was using each year in the last 10 years that I have lived here!

No new appliances or change of usage to justify this - only change is my Smart Meter.  I have been on calls wiht Scottish Power since Monday and I'm getting nowhere - I have today been advised to call Actavo myself and ask them to come out which they will do but have stated it may be weeks before they can due to a backlog.

I am incurring a bigger bill by the day - must be close to £1000 now for electricty for 3 months - please tell me others have had an issue with these meters not giving the correct readings as I am losing my mind over this 

222 comments

posted by drljames | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
Are your meters reporting back and updating your online account? If so, might be worth changing the frequency to half and hour. To see any odd trend?

Maybe just the display is out?

posted by fjw | A year ago
We recently had a new SMART meter installed however the Tariff costs displayed do not match those on our most recent Fixed Online April 2018 v3 bill. Additionally it appears that we are using 3x more gas than with our old meters. Could there be an issue with the installation?

posted by zooster | A year ago

Had meter installed in Nov 2017 and no meter reading taken from the meter since, now they are saying that 4 months gas and electric is nearly £600, when I ask them they just say it’s correct, my consumption is nowhere near that, were hardly here and we have it quite cool ! They are saying that I have to do some ‘burn test’, my direct debit is £86 and they  have increased it to £90 but now I am £209 in debit on my account ! On the smart meter reading I should be paying around £146 a month, there is only 2 of us and we work 60 hour weeks.

posted by Jewel | A year ago

Scottish power installed smart meter in our house yesterday. The duel fuel bill yesterday was £8.75 and today £8.50, if goes like this way then after one month the bill will be £270 (approximately). Moreover, after installing the smart meter ­­­­we did not use our heater as we use to do earlier.

I have been living in this house for last 9 months and I paid total £564.31 for duel fuel. In that sense, I paid £62.7/month (Gas + Electricity) and £2.09/day. I really do not know why and how this smart meter is generating such high bills.

posted by Jewel | A year ago
Hello LynnCam,
Did you get any solution of your problem? Please let me know. Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Jewel

posted by Brummie | A year ago

One of the problems with Scottish power for any meter change, not just smart meters, is that they do not change your readings on their systems as they often make it extra-complicated by using third parties. Check your readings and take photos to use for OFGEM complaint in future but int he mean time make a standard complaint.

posted by ChrisH | A year ago

I had my smart meter installed yesterday. I'm having the same issue with readings seeming quite high.

Apparently I used £3.13 in electricity yesterday afternoon (after the installation) and £5.00 so far today. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with no TV. Not sure how it can be so high. Especially today when everything was unplugged apart from my router.

Will give them a buzz tomorrow as my bill is going to go from about £30 to £150 a month just for electricity.

posted by Dickyboy8 | A year ago

Good Morning,

I cannot answer any of the previous blogs, but I can add further woes to the growing catalogue. We have a flat in Edinburgh that we use ocassionally, and the gas remains off when we are not there, with the exception of the boiler's pilot light. I had new Smart gas and electricity meter fitted a few months ago.

I arrived yesterday, after 3 weeks away, to find that my new gas smart meter had incremented about 30 units. That equates to a cost of about £250 per annum just to run the pilot light on the boiler!!

To complicate things further, I looked at the gas usage each day whilst I was away -by checking the history on the little black display device. To my surpirse, the usage is not constant; it alternates every other day with one day being about 6 kwh, the next about 30 Kwh, then back to 6 KwH, then 30 Kwh etc etc. The only gas usage is the boiler piot light. To make matters worse, the gas

@LynnCamwrote:

Hi - has anyone else had an issue with the Smart Meter registering incredible electricity usage?  I had mine installed in August - my latest bill is the 1st with all electricity via the Smart Meter and it's showing that I am using 50kw per day, over 4000kw in the last quarter - that's more than I was using each year in the last 10 years that I have lived here!

No new appliances or change of usage to justify this - only change is my Smart Meter.  I have been on calls wiht Scottish Power since Monday and I'm getting nowhere - I have today been advised to call Actavo myself and ask them to come out which they will do but have stated it may be weeks before they can due to a backlog.

I am incurring a bigger bill by the day - must be close to £1000 now for electricty for 3 months - please tell me others have had an issue with these meters not giving the correct readings as I am losing my mind over this 

meter squeaks all the time.

A complaint has been lodged and I'm looking forwards to a conversation with them this Friday. If things are not resolved, I am going to ask for my new smart electricity and gas meters to be remocved and replaced with the old type units.

posted by asmith | A year ago

We have had the same problem with electricity since smart meter install last October. They were meant to fit a test meter but cant because there is not enough room in the meter box and they have no solution to this. A community liason officer visited who basically said that the meters dont go wrong so we must be using the power. He is the only person within Scottish power that thinks this,the engineer who was supposed to fit the check meter wandered around the house and can't see why the readings are so high, he thought we may have a hot tub ! Scottish power have now closed our complaint and basically fobbed us off. we were around£500 in credit before the smart meter ,they took all this and now in debit by nearly £200, they cant see why we are annoyed. Time to switch !!!!