Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage

Hi Sarah, I did not realise you have a solar panel problem, see also 

https://community.scottishpower.co.uk/t5/My-Energy/Smart-Meter-incorrect-readings-with-solar-pv-system/m-p/4151#M2757

This contributor has the same situation as you. I don't know why some smart meters do not react to Feed in Tariffs correctly.

posted by Yingchun | A year ago

I've recently left Scottish Power, the smart meters were installed not long before I switched provider. Now I am seeing a sudden change with my energy bill (gass and electricity), from monthly payment of £77 to over £200, nothing changed at home, not sure where went wrong. In the household we have no new appliance and just as usual. I am even more worried on who to speak to as I am no longer scottish power coustomer. I thought doing a switch (the first ever time I did this) would save me some costs, but this is clearly heading the opposite. Has anyone got to the bottom why the consumption suddenly shoots up so high? Thank you.

Highlighted

posted by COCO17 | A year ago
Absolute Disgrace they have "NO",shame,,,!!!

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Yingchun, Your bills are based on estimates, the SP smart meters are not going to work with your new supplier so you have to read the meters yourself and telephone the readings to the new supplier.

Most people who complain about high smart meter bills are not aware that the system may not be working correctly and the high bills are based on estimates.

posted by Yingchun | A year ago
Hi Davc, thank you for your comments. I switched in January, the first estimate was the end of March, the second reading (their engineer came to read) is on the 4th of July. My possible interpretation is that the first estimate was in winter period, the estimate was lower than actualy use, then the next reading picked this up, monthly direct debit from £77.5 to £214, a bit of shock to me. I will have to see towards the end of the year whether my energy usage has been significantly increased or not. Thank you again.

posted by msmith | 11 months ago

Inhave noticed this on my latest bill also. I thin kthe problem is that the electricty units are in kwh but the bill is still multiplying them y some incorrect coversion leading to an astonomical usage figure. Have requested a callback from scottish power to discuss. Will update

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

Hi mssmith, electricity is always measured in kWh, it is gas that needs conversion factors.  Whatever is causing your high bills it is not conversion factors. You could check to see if the bill was based on an estimate, many bills are these days because meter readers do not visit and smart meters sometimes do not work correctly. 

posted by msmith | 11 months ago
Hello Scottish power thank you for your reply I'm afraid in this instance you are incorrect. My electricity read on my bill shows as 363units for the period but which is correct but then there is a mistake and it shows it as being multiplied to 2091kwh resulting in a HUGE overcharge. I spoke with customer services who have never seen it happen before are now working to rectify the situation. Firstly they apoligised then thanked me for bringing it to their attention quoting "you have eyes like a hawk to have noticed that Mrs smith"
So I would urge other people experiencing the same to check their bill carefully in case the same thing has happened to them. Happy to upload a photo if it will help anyone

posted by Hooloovoo | 11 months ago
Hello msmith. I'm curious - I'd like to see this photo please.

posted by vengeanceuk | 11 months ago
I'd be interested to see this as month by month my "usage" is increasing through the wazoo. From a DD of 90p.m. to the new rate this month of £245 and this has only started since the so called "smart meter" has been installed