Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
Your monthly direct debit is irrelevant and doesn't tell us much. For example, if you have already built up a massive debt through chronic underpayment for months, then your current direct debit will be very high for a while to compensate for this as you pay off the debt even if you actual usage has gone down.

The only way to know for sure what is going on is to READ YOUR METERS regularly. Seriously, come on people, READ YOUR METERS and most of your problems will go away. I know you might well have a smart meter and it's supposed to be "the end to meter reading" but if you think there's a problem then just take 5 minutes once a month to read the meters and manually submit the readings. Subtract the reading from last month and you'll know instantly how much electric it thinks you have used and you'll be able to tell where the problem, if there is one, can be found.

vengeanceuk - what do you actual bills say? Are they based on estimates? Do they have actual readings, either smart or manual? Just whining about it month by month isn't going to make it any better. Read your meters monthly, submit the values, and look at the PDF bills that are produced to see what's going on. Currently it appears you're considering only your monthly direct debit as "the bill" and this is nowhere near enough information to determine what the problem might be.

posted by msmith | A year ago
Please see photo attached. Electricity smart read of 363 means 363kwh used but you can see they have increased it to 1965kwh. Scottish power confirm this is incorrect and claim to have never seen the problem before but I would urge anyone with sudden bill increases to look closely at your Bill in case you have been affected by the same thing. They are working to rectify mine.

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Msmith, Very interesting bill you attached. The electricity reading was increased excatly five fold, a complete mystery whyit should have happened and I hope SP can quickly send you a corect bill and put right the error.

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
Very interesting. I take it there isn't a section on the full PDF bill explaining "how we calculated your electricity usage" as there is with the gas?

posted by faysis | A year ago
Yes I am having this exact same problem after having a smart meter fitted. My electric use has tripled since last year according to my smart meter! I used more electric in 81 days between the May and July than I did for the period of May to Jan the previous year which consisted of 282 days. I am getting nowhere with Scottish Power even though they acknowledge that the pattern of use looks odd, how can I be using 3 times more electric in June than I did in Jan. If anything my use should of gone down as my daughter moved out leaving me as the only occupant. I am a low user of electric and always have been and now my smart meter is saying that my use is going up and up every month. I am so stressed with it all, I regret having the stupid meter installed.

Hi faysis, check your bills carefully, were they estimates before the smart meter? Often when actuals are used there is a catch-up which looks like a big jump in consumption.  There is no reason for smart meters to record any higher than old meters and the use of actuals is often the explanation. 

posted by COCO17 | A year ago
Hi, My payments has doubled and that from the beginning of May I've not had the heating on apart from occasionally for hot water and the same if not less electricity i just don't understand it, Why with multiple complaints don't Scottish Power answer some of the complaints on this page because they certainly should or i like many others won't be with Scottish Power much longer + my I.H.D. unit is not working and showing blank for everything, I've done what it says to do if this happens to no avail,,,!!!

They're calibrated (supposed to be) so surely that should not change after a couple of months,,? S.P. Should get on here and answer some of not all of the complaints a.s.a.p,,,!!!
Highlighted

I think we're all getting ripped off, how can this be happening to do many people,,,!!!

Hi Coco. Read your bills carefully, were they estimated previously? also read the comments aboove in this thread. I dont believe smart meters record any different to traditional meters, but they do bring your account up to date after some time on estimates.