Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by COCO17 | 6 months ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
Surely if it was the previous 12 months it would be cheaper,,?

posted by COCO17 | 6 months ago
Hi Davc, They were actual readings I've went from being £1,013 in credit on the day this smart meter was installed to about £200 now I just think there is something amiss along the line ,,?

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Hi again Coco, thanks for the reply, a final check, are your recent bills estimated? maybe the smart meter is not transmitting. Check the actual meter reading against what it says on your bill and if necessary phone in a manual reading.

You may be one of the rare cases where the meters are recording strangely but I doubt it.

posted by faysis | 6 months ago
Update on my Summer usage being 3 times higher than my winter usage. 9 phone calls later and not one intelligent conversation with anyone at Scottish Power as they keep telling me my usage going up in Summer compared to Winter is not unusual! I have solar panels and they now think the smart metre is recording the electricity generated by the panels as usage hence why my usage is going up and up particularly in the Summer months. Scottish Power told me that smart metres don't always sync with solar panels correctly and an additional item needs to be fitted to rectify this. Given that I mentioned I had solar panels on every call why it has taken 9 calls and a whole lot of stress for someone to look in to this being the problem is beyond me. None of the customer service team were helpful they all told me different and one woman cut me off when i said I wanted to make a complaint. She told me to take a photo of my metre and send it in and that's all they can advise. She also told me I can't complain then cut me off. Dire customer service. I will be going to OFGEM regardless of the outcome which is going to show that I am owed a lot of money since I've been overpaying for over a year

posted by IDave | 6 months ago

My Smart Meter was installed last November and last winter showed a marked increase in energy usage even though the house was empty for three months, I was convinced that the readings were wrong but was eventually convinced by Scottish Power that i must have left something on. i will certainly be doing extra checks this winter. 

Ever since the Smart meter has been installed i have been unable to log in and read it, since last November everytime i have tried they have been "experiencing difficulties" and i almost wonder if they really want you to read it.

I think that the Smart Meter programme is a huge waste of money and i regret the day i agreed to have one installed..

posted by faysis | 6 months ago
IMPORTANT IF YOU HAVE SOLAR PANELS I have been told today that smart metres must not be fitted to a house with solar panels as they are not compatable. Scottish Power have been told by the feed in tariff company to remove my smart metre and I am due a refund for 13 months of overcharging me. I have been charged for the electric that the panels produce because no metre can distinguish between usage and energy produced. Scottish Power never disclosed this to me so I have been lied to so that they can rob me for 13 months. I am definitely going to OFGEM with this as Microgen said SP would know that fitting smart metres with solar panels is a no no! Anyone in the same position as me contact Microgen because Scottish Power won't do it for you even though they say will

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

This was discussed a lot in this thread:-    Smart Meter incorrect readings with solar pv system

One user Battj says his meters do work correctly, but many people report your problem, so the message is to beware. There are 1 million solar panel homes now, and as smart meters are spreading  this is a big problem.  It could well be that installers do not know how to set up a smart meter to work correctly with solar power.

posted by IDave | 6 months ago
Further to the above comment i also have solar so perhaps that is my problem, i will talk to Scottish Power and see what they have to say..
IDave
Highlighted

posted by Hooloovoo | 6 months ago
Smart meters work just fine with microgeneration such as solar panels.

The difference is that they have two counters, metering the import and export separately. Older meters wouldn't directly measure export, but instead run backwards when there is a net export. This is where the difference comes from, since Scottish Power are not set up for you to enter the reading from the export counter. That's not the fault of the meter, it's working just fine. Other energy suppliers do correctly support generation and smart meters.

posted by pyramid61 | 5 months ago
I recently had the smart meter installed & my quarterly gas bill is actually more than my gas bill for the whole of last year & more than quadrupled for the same quarter (June-Sep) in 2017. I have tried to calculate my usage but for some reason a gas unit on the new meter does not calculate correctly using the method stated on past bills. Could someone plz enlighten me on how to calculate the smart meter gas units!