Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by lynsey | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
It was only installed today but we are keeping a very close eye on things

posted by victoria0506 | A year ago
Hi Davc,

I did reply in the thread but can’t work out how to reply to you directly so I hope you see this-

I basically have two issues

1) SP is saying that my average KW use per day is 10 kw more than at the same time last year (14 kw more in May-July than the same time the previous year which is double the usage!). Absolutely nothing has changed in the house, there’s no explaining the huge increase although the smart meter was fitted in January. Apparently I can pay £50 to have a checking meter installed, great.

2) I have 2 estimated bills. December 2017 was for £420 and April 2018 was for £590!!!!! Before everything started going wrong I was only paying £110 per month for my 3 bed house!The guy on the phone said that as I had the smart meter installed in January there’s no way it should have been estimated. Therefore I have been struggling to pay back a debt that is entirely made up!!! I know that I should’ve noticed on my account before now but I’m furious!!!

I just don’t know what to do next really, it’s so stressful,..,..

V
Highlighted

posted by victoria0506 | A year ago
Oh and I talked this through with SP over 2 weeks ago and the guy said that he’d ‘raise it with back office’ and that I’d hear back from them within 5 days. But I’ve not heard. There was a 2 hour wait when I called yesterday so I’ll have to try again tomorrow or next week.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Victoria, sorry for your problem. Go back over your bills and write down the actual and estimated meter readings and dates. Then see if there is a pattern of change since the smart meters. Drawing a time graph would help. If you are convinced the readings have increased then pay the £50 for a check meter, it would save you in the long run and I guess they would refund the £50 if they are proved at fault. 

Smart meters really don’t measure any different to conventional ones, the problem is that they have not been sending data which has led to estimates.  Have you sent in your own manual readings at alll, it would help. Good luck and keep us updated. 

Highlighted

My meter has been fit for less than 48 hours and it is showing 170kwh usage now surely this cannot be right no applianaces have been changed and our habits have not altered in the time we have lived here. In fact today the property has been empty for pretty much 11 hours and when I got home it was showing over 100kwh had been used today alone.
Highlighted

Typical day rates are 5 to 10 kWh. Your 170 in 24 hours is just unbelievable in any circumstances.
Highlighted

So what would you advise I do and what my next steps would be?
Highlighted

Hi Linsey. First make sure the meter is saying this not the IHD. Then phone or write to SP explaining the situation 0800 027 0072. And. Contactus@scottishpower.com

I did wonder if your IHD is picking up a neighbours electricity who is growing his own cannabis. Not very likely.
Highlighted

Hi
The meter is showing the same as the ihd we are currently on 255kwh and the meter was only fitted 2.00 Wednesday and we are out of the property for pretty much 11 hours of the day during the week I’m constantly banging my head against a wall when I ring SP was told yesterday the usage recorded is possible!!!
Highlighted

Furthermore after turning the power off at the mains in the flat the main meter was still registering kWh used