Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage

Hi Lynsey, could it be that there is confusion over which meter supplies which flat? But even if you are using another's meter it should never register such high consumptions.  It does seem  that you need to get SP to call back the installer and revue the situation, 250kwh in a couple of days is ridiculous and the customer servicer who told you it was possible was talking rubbish.   Could it be that the meter you are reading is a check meter for the whole block of flats? That could make sense.  Somehow it has got linked to your account?  It sounds like a really big mistake has been made by the installer.

Highlighted

posted by lynsey | A year ago
Hi
Our meter was reading extremely high prior to the smart meter being fitted our last bill for 72 days was £760, nothing at all has changed within the flat so somewhere there is a huge issue which we are getting no closer to a resolution
Highlighted

SP should respond to the problem but if you know a friendly electrician you could ask him to look at the meters and wiring and work out what is supplied by the meter you are looking at. So this has been a long term problem and you will be due a big refund.

posted by victoria0506 | A year ago
Hi,

Davc-i have been through my account and wanted to discuss a few things. I hope you don’t mind but you seem like the most helpful person that I’ve spoken to about this!!!

So the only two electricity meter readings that I have before the smart meter reading recorded a useage of 1699kw in 142 days (11.9 per day; May-Sept) which took my meter up to 11553.

It then says that there was a ‘removed read of 14306 on 28th Jan and that it was 0 on 29th Jan - when a smart meter is installed do they reset the main meter to 0?

There is then a smart read of 1708 61 days later (28 units per day!!!). So we’ve supposedly used the same amount of electricity in a third of the time!!!

This huge increase then continues with every smart read until the present day- 1233kw in 42 days (29per day); 688kw in 25 days (27.5 per day) and 1966 in 83 days.

I took a manual reading today and since our last smart meter reading in Oct we’ve supposedly used 2228kw in 84 days!! It seems crazy!!!

Gas is a similar story although we didn’t really use it between May and Sept. The only manual readings I had before smart meter show that we used 484kw in 142 days but after smart meter in January we supposed used 545kw in 51 days!!!

I’ll call them tomorrow but do you agree with me that this seems like a huge increase for a 3 bed house that hasn’t changed at all??
Highlighted

Hi Victoria. I have been writing about a similar problem with Linsey. Your best approach is to assemble your data in an email to contactus@scottishpower.com. Give your name address and account number. Clearly something is wrong and they will respond best to data rather than a general complaint. Let us know how you get on. There seems to be something odd about some smart meter installations Don’t trust your IHD or the App but if these high readings come direct from the actual meter then you are on firm ground.
I don’t know if we discussed this but, are you in a block of flats? And do you have solar panels? Both of these can give problems. Good luck.
Highlighted

Hi Victoria. I have been writing about a similar problem with Linsey. Your best approach is to assemble your data in an email to contactus@scottishpower.com. Give your name address and account number. Clearly something is wrong and they will respond best to data rather than a general complaint. Let us know how you get on. There seems to be something odd about some smart meter installations Don’t trust your IHD or the App but if these high readings come direct from the actual meter then you are on firm ground.
I don’t know if we discussed this but, do you have solar panels? This can give problems Good luck.
Highlighted

posted by Dipti | A year ago
Hi. I've just checked my electricity reading and it's showing on the app as nearly £190,000 for 3 months!!!!! There is no way that much electricity has been used. I live in a 3 bed semi!! Has anyone else's electricity gone mental? I'll be bloody calling Scottish Power and asking them what the he'll is going on!
Highlighted

If the App is giving  crazy results you can ignore it, a lot of people say the same. The meter itself is probably working correctly and the App will get sorted out soon. 

Highlighted

posted by fionastubbs | A year ago
Hi, I asked for my smart meter to be removed, to which they said they would, then I ring again to ask when I will be given a date and the girl in customer service told me that would have to come from a high authority and was surprised I had been told that I could. I gave the name of the lady who authorised it and was told she would ring me. Well still waiting and have spent the last month on the phone to them being passed from one department to another and listening to music, my bills have doubled even though I have solar, and they have said that they do look high but just keep asking me to pay and won’t look into the problem !!
Highlighted

Hi Fiona. It is well known that smart meters plus solar power gives problems. Sometimes you get charged for your solar generation instead of it being credited. SP are aware of this and should remove the smart meter and credit you for the overcharging. Keep persuing them and you will get a lot of money back.