Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by DaveD | 2 years ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
Davec I don't know if you are an engineer or just someone that Scottish Power employ to oversee this blog but you really should know that when any smart meter installation is undertaken that it's final set-up is done by the engineer with, in my case an iPhone and tablet. Now I engaged with said engineer about the whole process and he said it was so easy to get the settings wrong because of the software involved. He was experienced and said it had taken him a few goes to get things correct. So you see my direction of thought here I assume.

DaveD

posted by Davc | 2 years ago
Thanks Daved. That is interesting and explains some of the issues here. I am only a bored pensioner who keeps an eye on this forum because people don’t understand tariffs meters and bills. I could stop tomorrow but I’m kind of hooked on it now. You should try and join in.

DaveD. It really is fascinating. Give technology to everyone and it will go wrong in so many ways. Fuel is our most important cost after food yet there is so little awareness of how it all works.
Recently Linsey and Victoria have highlighted really odd smart meter issues. I don’t have any new ideas, can you help? I am a technical graduate with a good knowledge of computers but no real practical experience of meter installation.

Hmm I'll think about it. As I retired a few years back I wish to have a 'more' relaxed life. My background was in science and encompassed Chemistry, electronics and electrical engineering amongst a few. I'll have a look and see what gives. Thank you.

DaveD

Ok, Lyndsey sounds like the rate has been set incorrectly by the installing engineer. As I have said the software is a nightmare. This will not be flagged at the 'call centre' as she is using power at the correctly set rate in their system. She needs to get an engineer to reset her system, one who really knows what he is doing, then after one month claim not only the money back but and I stress this... COMPENSATION. They will not alter their ideas unless hit in the pocket.

Hope this helps.

DaveD

Ok Dave but can smart meters really have different settings for kWh rate  measurement? This is their main function and surely cannot be adjusted at will?  

Yes, what they transmit and record are two different things. I think I have the manual for my meter that I got off the internet somewhere....

DaveD

She had taken a reading from the actual meter so it was not a question of transmitting, but very interesting what you say, it might record 10 but transmit in different units so it appears as 100 or similar? 

The recording must be unadjustable though or the whole system would be open to doubt. 

Hmm..I think you may find that the software built in will record in any denomination. I suspect that the the setup has had a glitch somewhere. 

DaveD

posted by Immy | 2 years ago
Hi Davec and Dave D,
We've been facing strange issues with our smart meter readings as well. Called SP to talk about it but the customer service rep couldn't quite understand the problem.

I'm now thinking of emailing them and would be grateful for your insight on these readings.
Issue 1: sudden wipeoout of all past smart meter data (we'd had it installed in March 2018). Followed by a sudden spike in October.

Issue 2: Obscene amounts of usage on 1st Jan. Not possible. In home display says we consumed less than £2 worth of electricity.

The forum will only let me attach one image so I'm attaching a screenshot of yearly usage (or atleast what's left on it on SP records). If you can please help me figure this thing out, I'd be happy to share images of Oct and Jan usage. Dec and Nov usage are accurately represented.