Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A week ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage

A quick google search shows 2 fridges do not use 16kwh a day. 25kwh a day total for the household  is not impossible but would require electric heating running all day at a very high level.  Normal appliances which are not heaters would never run at that rate. If you offer to pay £50 SP will install a check meter which would reveal your real consumption so it’s would be a good investment   If they find errors they would refund the £50. You should get a big refund.  Something is definitely wrong with your meter set up both before and after the smart installation. 

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A week ago

Victoria, in my reply I meant that 2 fridges using 15 kw a day is impossible. Fridges cut in and out and don’t run continuously at their rated power, but a fridge motor is never rated at 7kw, that is impossible.  Expensive items could include electric showers, 6kw and tumble driers 3 kw and washing machines 2 Kw also fires can be 2 kw and are expensive to run because they run continuously. TV and lighting is fairly trivial.  Stick at it and get to the root of the problem. Keep us all posted. Thanks. 

posted by victoria0506 | A week ago
Thanks Dave. Yes I’ve just googled it further and did a very quick energy assessment of my own and it comes out at about 13kw max. We don’t have electric heating or an electric fire, just the usual fridge, kettle, washing machine etc. I’m pleased I messaged rather than just walked away which is so tempting.

I’ve just requested a check meter. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again :-)

posted by Yingchun | A week ago
Hi Davc, thank you again for your feedback. You are absolutely right about 'I should have lower bills' which was also what I was expecting, that was the whole point of doing the switch for supplier. But the reality is I am paying higher bills, not marginally higher, looks close to double what I paid in the past.

I rarely look at the details of the statements they sent, things like this only make me alert when it hits my pocket. I assume DD is a result of the consumptions determined by meter readings. With the increased DD and 'as usual' day to day operation of our household, I could only point my finger to these 'SMART' meters which may play funny for providing higher numbers than what we actually consumed. At the moment, with the readings I provided to British Gas, the DD seems to be reasonable (not far off), but that DD was twice higher than what I paid before the SMART meters were installed.

posted by victoria0506 | 6 days ago

Hi DaveC,

I've just spoken to SP to ask for a check meter but apparently because of the kind of smart meter I have got they can't put a check meter in place!! They are also still adament that the our 2 fridges and 1 freezer (all A+ rated) are using 14.4 watts per day and that it is perfectly reasonable for our usage to have almost trippled in the space of a year. We have now reached 'deadlock situation' which means they will give me £60 to leave as a good will gesture - £60??!!!!! Tp be honest even if they offered me more I'm not sure I would take it as it is now a matter of principle.

I feel that I have no choice but to take it to the ombudsman to see if I can get this issue resolved. I'll keep updating on here in case anyone else is finding this useful.....

Victoria

posted by Davc | 6 days ago
Yes Victoria keep up the complaint. 3 fridges could use 1.4 kWh in a day according to Google. Check meters should be independent of any type of installed meter.
It all sounds that SP are trying to dodge responsibility.

posted by tlrmatthew | 3 days ago
Hi, just checked my readings on smart usage and for the last 4 days, my usage has gone from around £2 a day to almost £2,000 a day!
Just under £8,000 in 4 days, I will be calling them in the morning!

posted by Jonnel | 3 days ago
@tirmatthew I'd be so tempted to let it run up to a truly ridiculous figure, then get paid to go on Good Morning Britain to talk about SP to the nation. An Andy Warhol moment...

posted by victoria0506 | 3 days ago
Just to say that I have found messaging SP on Facebook messenger very useful-they’re really responsive. I’ve given the details and then organised a time for them to call me. Much easier than waiting on the phone for ages and when they call they know the basic details of the problem.
This sounds like an obvious mistake but I’ll be interested to know what they say. Good luck!