Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Samkelly24 | A month ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
did you get anywhere with this? I have just had one installed and mine is rocketing up...

did you get anywhere with this? it is happening to me now

posted by Davc | A month ago
Hi Sam. Do not rely on the IHD display for costs. It is not your bill.

posted by tlrmatthew | A month ago
New app on phone instantly corrected stupidly high readings.
Gone from around £2,000 a day to a more sensible £2.
Glad that's sorted itself out!

posted by bolta | A month ago
I too have a smart meter and since it instalation have noticed very high readings. I live on my own and work mostly 7 days a week. I have radiators turned off in rooms i dont use and have my house quite cool yet they have just increased my monthly bill to £175!!!😳. The smart meter doesnt even work now . I have. Someone coming round to look into this because it cant be right. Any other advice??

posted by Davc | A month ago

Hi bolta.. Check your bills to see if they are based on estimates. It could be your smart meters are not transmitting. If they are actuals or smart readings it could be a problem with Economy 7 or solar power if these apply to you. Remember only y the  bills can tell you costs, the App and IHD display have gone wrong recently.

I have been on the phone to Scottish power for over an hour they advised how I can still read my meters to check and have confirmed my smart meter is incorrect they advised me to try and reset this but this doesn't alter the readings.. after resetting many times now I have no electricity reading at all displaying just the gas which does look about right now..I am waiting for a call back from the smart meter team so they can investigate! Do not let them just up your bill, I had always done meter readings before so I know what is accurate and what isn't

posted by faysis | A month ago
Please can I encourage everyone who is having issues with their smart meters to pursue your complaint. I have had to pay £300 to get an engineer to do a full inspection of my solar panels and installation of my smart meter as Scottish Power have refused to come out even though it is obvious something is very wrong as I my meter only records what the solar panels produce. It has been proven that my meter was wired in incorrectly by the person that Scottish Power out to fit it and Scottish Power are still denying there is a problem. The ombudsmen ruled in my favour back in December but SP still have done nothing. I have been told I could take them to court and I will 100% win. The ombudsman told me they are seeing way more complaints than they would like where it turns out smart meters have been incorrectly installed, one of the reasons being CT clamps being put on the wrong way round. I have contacted OFGEM, BEIS and all the big newspaper as well as BBC Watchdog and I will not stop until SP are exposed for the dishonest organisation that they are.

Please note if you are thinking about getting a smart meter fitted DON'T. Because as it currently stands if your energy supplier pays a sub contractor to install a meter at your home and they fit it incorrectly you will be stuck with an incorrectly fitted meter as there is no obligation for your energy supplier to do a site visit at your property to check the installation if you suspect it is wrong. I have written to OFGEM about this and I am demanding that the process is changed as this is wrong. Please anyone who is having problems keep fighting your case. I have had 6 months of being told I'm wrong about my meter being wired in wrong but I wasn't. If you have got solar panels look at your smart meter at night time and check to see if the meter moved when you are using electric, if it doesn't then you have the same problem as me.

posted by victoria0506 | A month ago
Hi, thanks so much for updating us on your progress.... or lack of it thanks to SP.

I have just submitted my complaint to the Ombudsman this evening so will let you know what happens.

That is absolutely disgusting that the energy supplier isn’t responsible for ensuring the correct installation of the meter. I’m almost 100% certain that ours was installed by a third party and I’ve always questioned whether it had been fitted incorrectly. There HAS to be a reason that our electricity consumption has supposedly tripled!!

Would be very interested to hear what happens next. I work in PR and fully intend to also go to national press about this....
Highlighted

posted by mortondoreen416 | A month ago