Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Stefan | 7 months ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
So I have been in constant contact with SP over this issue and I transpires that when my new gas meter wasn’t installed when I go to the smart meter put in, the final readings taken from the old meter were wrong and meant that I had “used” so much more gas than I actually had, my account has been put back to normal!
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

Glad you got a correct bill finally Stefan.. If my meter was changed I would make absolutely sure that I had the closing readings of the old meter and the opening readings of the new meter, I would not trust the installer to do this.  This is good advice for anyone having their meter changed, always keep a note of the readings and do not trust others to do it for you.

posted by HelenSpring | 6 months ago
My Bill's have gone sky high since getting the smart reader, I'm paying 177 a month, I've just come in from work and its showing already 5 pound odd for the day , i hardly have anything on in the house . It's stupid money. I've rang and they said it was showing 2 pound odd yesterday at 4pm but my smart reader at that time was showing 11.70 , I'm seriously gonna change supplier . I cant afford these prices

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago
Because you're talking pounds and pence I suspect you're looking at the IHD not the meter, which the briefest of looks through these boards tells you are unreliable, so maybe that's your problem, not the cost. Looks like you're back to reading your own meters.

But that's what I can't get my head around... the IHD is what smart meters are mostly 'sold' to us one - the benefits of seeing your own usage and adjusting accordingly. I hear so much about IHD's being rubbish, yet millions have been installed, so they can't ALL be U.S. can they?

If you're told a TV you like can get Netflix, then when you get it home it can't, law says you can change it. But how many people have been able to get a smart meter taken out?

I'm waiting until the hardware, the software and the infrastructure is reliable. Then I'll think about a smart meter.

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Your IHD smart display will show kWh accurately but the £ values are very unreliable.  If the Display is showing meter readings then it is very likely that the meters are sending their data to SP.  Check your bills to see that the readings are shown as Smart not Estimated.  Many people find their bills increasing after smart meters because a long run of under-estimates is being corrected, the monthly DD should settle down to a normal level once your debt has beeen paid off, again, check your bills to see if you have a debt.

posted by gamonal | 6 months ago

Forget reading the smart meter display. Go to your meters and press 9 this will give you the spot KWH reading or for the gas the cubic meters used,  keeping trying it hour intervals to see if it suddenly goes up or stays more a less the same usage. When we changed over to a smart meter I had always taken the readings before at the begining of the month. The reasdings from the new meter were comparable  with the old readings.

posted by Phil101 | 6 months ago

Just want to comment on this topic as I’m getting nowhere with SP, my electricity costs since a smart meter was installed have spiralled. The Scottish Power app tells me that in May 2018, I used 435kWh of electricity at a cost of £50.19, a smart meter was installed in Nov ‘18, now in May 2019, I have used 410kwh at a cost of £65.43 - less electricity used and I’ve been charged more, and I’m on a fixed tariff!

In March 2018, we used 506.48kWh of electricity , in April 2019, we used 359.00kwh and was charged the same amount (£58) for both! 

SP has said the information isn’t accurate on the App (why have it then) but still cannot explain why I am being charged more for less consumption.

logged a complaint with resolver but i’ll take it to the ombudsman if necessary

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

@Phil101    Both the smart Display and the app have misleading data, particularly concerning costs.  Your fixed tariff will not change and your costs are worked out by SP according to the kWh units used. Often the Display units calculate within your home using bad tariff data, it is not your bill.

posted by Phil101 | 6 months ago

If the smart display and app have misleading data, why have them.? I’m advised to download the SP app and have a smart meter installed so I can monitor my usage and save me money, and now i’m told it’s just misleading data. What’s the point of them??   Scottish Power offer you a free smart meter installation promising that bills and usage will become more accurate, and then just say the data is misleading, a total cop out!

Please tell me why my consumption is going down whilst my charges are going up? Surely that is a simple question.

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago
@Phil101 This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why have these smart meters put in if they're not fit for purpose?

If you've been told the app is unreliable, the only way you can be sure is to look at your actual bill to see what you've actually paid. Your monthly costs seem very accurately measured so if you are actually billed monthly and pay monthly as your posts suggest - ie you don't pay a monthly DD averaged out over the year like most people - you should be able to see clearly if you HAVE been charged at two different rates and can show that billing error to SP or the Ombudsman.