Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by mrsweston | 8 months ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
I rang about mine yesterday. One day my usage was showing as £78. When I spoke to Scottish power they said they didn’t understand it! Nothing done. Going to ring and ask for meter to be checked. January gas and electric is showing as £365! Some days show £5, £7, £8 usage and then one be £52 🤯
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 8 months ago
@mrsweston One thing people don't realise about smart meters is that they measure energy usage digitally, not physically like old meters did. In this respect they are susceptible to corrupt data in the same way a computer is, and how many times have you heard of a computer going wrong?

Measuring usage digitally from corrupted data can mean that two different meters using the same amount of electricity can read differently, IF the data on one meter measures a 'unit' as a different size to the other - if you order a pint but get a half, you know you've been short-changed because you can see it. But you can't see electric, so if the barman insists he's given you a pint of electric, how would you know?

Smart meters are open to abuse, like everything in this world.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 8 months ago
All electric meters, whether smart or conventional, installed in the last 10 years have been electronic rather than analogue. Electronic meters do not rely on rotating wheels driven by current. They are inherently more reliable and accurate than analogue meters. They measure voltage and current, and calculate watts passing through the meter. Wikipedia says electronic meters very seldom have measurement errors.

Smart meters take the readings which have been recorded and transmit the readings to the power supplier. In the U.K. electricity is measured in kilowatt hours, which is the power used by a 1 kilowatt appliance in 1 hour. The cost is usually around 15 pence per kWh.

The stories of smart meters giving wrong high readings can often be traced back to correction of estimates. Customers have a surprise when their consumption is correctly recorded for the first time.
Highlighted

Smart meters can also be triggered to disconnect non-paying customers' supply by a remote signal from the supplier, in the same way they receive automatic data updates. This would save a supplier from having to get a court order to enter a home to disconnect, though you won't find that explained on wikipedia.

But there ARE recorded instances of European smart meters being hacked by third parties disconnecting supplies and corrupting data in an attempt to find useful information about homeowners.

In theory, IN THEORY, there is nothing to stop an unscrupulous third party from altering measurement parameters of any remotely accessible device in the same way IoT devices are interfered with now.

And that IS on wikipedia.
Highlighted

@mrsweston. Your spike in costs looks like it came from the SP app. Both the app and the smart displays can show false information which is not your bill and is best ignored. If you have doubts send SP your latest meter reading. This will generate a bill which you can check to make sure you have not been charged for the high readings you showed in the picture you attached. We know SP should not allow this to happen but it’s often reported on this forum. The ‘helpful’ updates of costs which you can see online are not your bill.
Highlighted

@mrsweston So you can see, the general consensus of opinion is that smart meters and their associated 'technologies' are unreliable and should not be trusted. Tell your friends.
Highlighted

The main function of smart meters is to send regular readings to suppliers, they seem to do this fairly successfully. It is the associated apps and displays which often show false data, it’s a case of a huge avalanche of new information which suppliers have been shown to be not very good at feeding back to customers.  I have avoided smart meters so far because I don’t trust the quality of work being done by installers, I expect to convert some time in 2021 or 2022 and hope things will have calmed down by then. Latest data show about 14m smets1 and 5m Smets2 are in place, the overall target is around 55m  During 2020 they will start to convert Smets1 to Smets2 standards. Britain is part of a global switch to smart metering it’s a government initiative. 

Highlighted

A shame the marketing campaign for smart meter installation was based on how much money it would save customers rather than simply taking a 6 minute once-a-month job off them.

It's also a matter of record that the program was initially to charge customers to switch meters, but after cost savings were found to be as little as £5 a year for most, the government insisted suppliers install for free, and claim back costs from a central fund bolstered by raising standing charges and/or unit costs.

As usual in situations where the government's involved, the tech was rushed, priorities ignored and customer service given little consideration. Oh, and roll-out was delayed. Inevitably.

The real reason for getting the country onto smart meters is so energy firms can charge higher prices for peak rate use and lower customer usage as a consequence. The easiest way to charge correctly for certain hours of the day is to monitor individual cutomer usage on an hourly basis. Smart meters can do this.

The scandal is that neither government nor energy firms make enough clear to the public.
Highlighted

@Jonnel   Nice comments from you  about smart meters, lets hope that they will mean cheaper offpeak prices as well as higher peak prices. I read recently one of the new suppliers, maybe yours, was already offering very cheap offpeak power on windy days and nights.

I agree it was stupid to market the scheme as saving money for users. It is all about managing peak demands and bringing in electric vehicles and electric home heating, the green agenda in other words. 

Highlighted

And there's the rub. If providers can't even get the hardware and software right now, what chance do customers stand of having the figures right when it starts getting complicated? How are they going to measure peak and off-peak energy usage accurately when it's possible - however improbable - that a person's smart meter data can be corrupted, or timer settings can be altered remotely by someone with the know-how.