Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Mummabumblebee | 8 months ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
Mine too. It seems to be about 10x the usual amount. Weird.
Scottish Power please recalibrate your figures.

posted by GrahamB | 8 months ago

I've just logged a suspected problem with my smart meter.

The electricity meter reported usage in August three times my normal summer monthly usage. It's also double my normal winter usage. It's made worse by the fact that we have solar panels!

The spike was for the month of August only. We were away for a week and no, we didn't leave anything on.

posted by Beekeeper | 5 months ago

It's hidden away, but the info is on this Which site

https://switch.which.co.uk/energy-advice/how-to-read-your-gas-meter.html

"If your measure is in cubic feet, multiply by 2.83 to convert to meters."

Which is *completely* non-intuitive, as there are approximately 36 cubic feet in a cubic meter. But it seems to be just the way the meters are set up. But it's utterly baffling for someone who has been keeping a record of their gas usage!

So if anyone is worried why their new smart gas meter is suddenly logging 3 times the usage of their old meter. Don't worry!

posted by lisa1987 | A month ago
Same here with my Final Gas bill, over 1000. When I use nowhere near that much.

posted by SuperFinch | 3 weeks ago
Old topic, but just to add...SP are an absolute joke.
Have had so many massive disputes with them, don’t think I’ve ever had an accurate bill.
At one point my alleged gas usage quintupled overnight, then stayed that way until they wanted me to clear a £3000 bill!
When I eventually found a person that didn’t try to fob me off with facile foolishness, they calculated my real average usage over the whole year, and found that my balance was just about 0, (as in my DDs were exactly right all along) and I demanded £60 in compensation just for the hours spent on the phone.

Now...it’s my electricity that’s gone crazy. The smart meter is showing use of 50+ KWh per day.
It’s a big household, but full of new energy efficient appliances...and of course just a few months ago I’ve had a representative work out my actual use and payment of £107 pm as about right.
According to this crazy-ass meter, I’m using that a week in electric alone.

To think this thread is 3 years old, just shows how little they care. They know about it, they don’t care, and they’ll happily collect from anyone that either doesn’t notice or just takes their word for it.
Fraud fraud fraud. I’m sure with a little organisation all the good folks on here could sue them into bankruptcy between them.