Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 7 months ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
Do you mean the IHD monitor is showing high costs? They are often wrong on £ values. Check your kWh units, you will probably find they are normal.

posted by tlrmatthew | 7 months ago
I spoke with Scottish power on the web chat & they said that they were having technical issues that were being dealt with.
My consumption has gone from around £2 to around £2,000 a day.
It just says 'no graph data' if I tap on a day for more detail.
All my daily readings are 1000 times more than usual, hope it gets sorted before my bill is due!

Hi Matthew, read some of the comments here. Your IHD monitor (which is not the smart meter) has no influence at all on your bills. Your IHD has gone wrong, but that does not mean anything about your fuel usage or your costs, they are measured separately and if you are worried about the IHD turn it off and put it in a drawer.

posted by Rostron71 | 7 months ago

I've been having problems with Scottish Power smart meters overcharging for the last year. When I use the Scottish Power iPhone app  to see the daily usage readings, they've been sending random spikes, some as high as £172 for a single day, compared to £2-4 a day monthly average.

I called an agent in December who said "it must be something you switched on", then she said an engineer would be in touch within 5 days. Heard nothing so after 3 weeks I sent a complaint by email and was told my complaint would be dealt with. 3 weeks later still no repsonse.

Scottish Power are an absolute disgrace. They've badgered customers to install smart meters and when the meters have gone wrong they've expected the customer to pay the bill.

This is going to Ofgem and I advise everyone else to do likewise.

Hi Rostron, a lot of people have odd results on the App and IHD. The only thing that is really important is your actual bill.  Before you raise a complaint about overcharging just make sure what your bills are saying, you may be pleasantly surprised.

posted by Rostron71 | 7 months ago
If none of this stuff is working properly how are we supposed to know that our bills are accurate? All I know is that since getting the smart meters installed, after 6 years my DD suddenly went from £90 pm to £125 pm. How am I supposed to know what my actual energy usage is and how much I'm being charged by Scottish Power per unit? The whole point of this great new system was to make usage and billing simpler, at the moment it's a confusing mess with higher monthly bills.

Hi again, your bills show the kWh units used and the cost in p/kWh. No use relying on Apps and IHDs.

Smart meters will send frequent and correct kWh readings to SP who will generate bills according to your tariff terms. If you look at your bills you may find that previous estimated readings have been corrected by the smart meters, hence your DD is increased to catch you up with a debt, the DD should revert to normal when the debt has been paid. Your bills are the only accurate measure of your account costs.

posted by victoria0506 | 7 months ago
Hi Rostron,
I’m afraid I can’t help you with your problems as I am in exactly the same boat. I’ve been trying to get this sorted since last July!!! My problem isn’t just the app though, SP are saying that are useage has tripled in one year!!!! It’s crazy.

I’m trying to take this to the ombudsman but need a deadlock letter which I have so far waited 3 weeks for and have chased numerous times. The complaints team must be EXTREMELY busy (!). It’s unbelievably frustrating

Hi Victoria, look at your bills, have the kWh units trebled or is it the cost?  Have there been estimates or actuals on the bills, if they are estimates put in your actual readings. Are we talking about gas electricity or both?

Without evidence that you have followed your situation the ombudsman will not be impressed by hearsay with phone agents. You need to assemble the actual numbers for a good case.