Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Phil101 | 6 months ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage

My advice to anyone thinking of getting a smart meter, DO NOT GET ONE! 

posted by Artrose | 4 months ago

Before the installation of our smart meter, our joint gas and electricity bills averaged £60-£70 in summer and £90-£100 in winter. There are two of us in the house. We have new windows and cavity wall insulation. We are both in our 70's and miserly with the use of power since the smart meter doubled  our bills from an average of £67.00 to £122.00.

Scottish Power's answer to our request for an explanation  was "Your previous electricity meter hasnt been recording properly.  So, we set about monitoring carefully our usage. using as little as possible as a result they have just sent me an email to say we are in £495 in debit and they are increasing our monthly payment to £130.00. 

posted by Jonnel | 4 months ago

@Artrose Unfortunately there's not enough information or specific details in your post to judge whether what you believe or what Scottish Power says is right. For example, were those (I assume monthly) payments of £60/£70 and £90/£100 based on actual readings or were they estimates? Your bills will say so. And all the insulation in the world won't make fuel bills cheap if the boiler is on all day making hot water for baths or a tumble drier is rumbling away.

If I were in your shoes I would challenge SP over in what way your old meters were "not recording properly" and how they've come to that conclusion. Then ask them for a breakdown of how they've come to their calculations for you paying back what they seem to think is outstanding usage.

Bear in mind according to Ofgem rules, energy companies are only supposed to 'back-bill' customers for genuine payment/metering mistakes, and then for only up to 12 months before the mistake was discovered.

posted by Ronco | 3 months ago
Was your meter installed by E.E.?
I still have smart meters from EE and still having a fight to maintain there is a serious problem as my bill from SP wanted over £4000. I have been waiting weeks for them to sort out, I paid to them £800 as a gesture towards my account and now been sent a bill for over £5000 pounds. It's driving me nuts also.

posted by Phil101 | 3 months ago

Not sure who installed it, I can only say keep pestering SP, i’ve Left the now but before I went I complained through on Twitter and things started to happen then. I was £240 in debt on the account, got a call after my Twitter complaint and  by the end of the day I was £390 in credit. They admitted that the readings had been wrong and it was a once in a million fault., apparently this had only happened once before,! Then when I left 2 months later I was refunded another £270. Just keep going.

posted by pandapoping | A month ago

My electricity usage Quadrupled after having the smart meter installed i have bee complaining since ctober 2018 and still it has not been fixed it claims i used 2464 kWh in 62 days and only 908 kWh in the 90 days after. That was a cost of over £300.00. they said they would credit but they haven't. At the same time i complained that i have not got my in home dispaly never got one yet the online chat does not work the app was unanswered emails not replied too it is all too much and my direct debit has doubled to £148 per month in less tha 12 months. i have had enough i will go find another network.

posted by Davc | A month ago

@pandapoping   A likely explanation is that your account was estimated until the smart meter started giving readings. The high apparent consumption was a correction to the previous wrong estimates. Once corrected the ongoing consumption was normal. Hope this explanation helps, it may not apply in your case but it is a common situation. 

posted by adsrock44 | A month ago
Hi. I’ve noticed that our usage on electric alone has doubled since we had a smart meter installed. It’s only 8am and I’ve apparently used £3.20 today. I’ve only ironed a shirt! This can’t be correct can it?

posted by Eddie1w | A month ago
Well after 7 months of stress SP have finally admitted that the smart meter installed must have been reading incorrectly. From £1500 in debit to £41 in credit. Thankfully I got through to the right SP employee who understood the issue and fixed the problem within 2 days. If you have high readings with a smart meter don’t accept them, keep fighting .

posted by Davc | A month ago

@Eddie1w   Good news Eddie, did they say what the problem was, it could help other people to know.