Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago
Re: Smart Meter showing incredibly high usage
@Jonnel. You are right we are all in the hands of other people and we have to trust our place in society. How do you know that speed camera is accurate, or your NHS doctor is treating you correctly, or your bank is managing your money properly, or your phone calls are measured right? Smart meters are just another example but criminals can’t get much cash from hacking smart meters, they can make more money persuading pensioners to give them money for ‘safe keeping’.
Smart meter security does not worry me at all but I know you see more threats 😀
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | A month ago
And that's exactly the point. All those monitoring methods can be and are challenged, often successfully, so why blindly believe a system that has already been proven to be open to abuse and failure?

And why should people trust them on the advice of someone who doesn't trust them himself? It smacks of "you get one, and I'll let you have the teething problems so I don't have to."
Highlighted

posted by Bilbo | A month ago
My electricity usage has gone nuts and it's only since a smart meter was fitted last August. It's only myself and my grandson who is at college most days that are in my three bedroom house. My Bill's have gone from £66 per month to £138 they say I am almost a high user but that is usually for a 4+ bedroom house. Nothing has changed in my house so just do not understand it! So now leaving Scottish Power!
Highlighted

posted by Chrissie | A month ago
My dual fuel has also gone up considerably with the smart meter and I fail to understand how. My direct debit is £160.00 per month and been told this month it is increasing to £240.00 per month. I know it has been a cold winter so far but last winter was worse. Definitely time to switch for me too after almost 10 years with Scottish Power. I do not believe that the smart meter is accurate and now have to do my research and see reviews regarding reliable suppliers
Highlighted

@Chrissie     A lot of people report winter DDs being raised to cover winter monthly costs. It seems to be a new DD policy from SP (and other suppliers). Presumably the DD will be put down again in April. So it is probably not connected to your smart meters, the same would happen with conventional meters. 

Highlighted

@Chrissie      As another check have a look at your kWh readings from the smart meter. They should be showing the same monthly consumption as before. This will tell you if they are really at fault or if it is caused by SP’s DD policy.  The only thing the smart meter will do is send more frequent updates, there is unlikely to be any change of kWh consumption compared with your previous meters. 

Highlighted

posted by IandD | 2 weeks ago
Ours doing exactly the same