Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters, Energy usage, Direct Debits & Meter Readings

posted by Technical_Chap | 4 weeks ago
Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with my on-line account at the moment where the website and the phone app both say I am using a great deal of energy, so much so that it is not possible to do from a normal household. I would like to know if anyone else is having the same problems.

Over the last 7 days I have according to the website used £12,630 of energy. not bad for a mid-terrace.

I have solar (2 years) and have not had an issue with my bills before, the smart meters were installed 7 months ago and really I have had no problems, my bills have stayed around the same as before the smart meters. 

I have phoned and spoken to customer services and been told it will get sorted soon....

So, has anyone else had this type of issue?

Technical Chap

22 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago
Re: Smart Meters, Energy usage, Direct Debits & Meter Readings

There was a similar comment recently with the App showing £10k consumptions. As long as your bills are correct you can ignore the App which is being quite unreliable. Make sure you are getting actual eadings, but if they have been estimated send in a manual reading, even though you have smart meters. A manual reading will raise a new bill and you woiuld be able to see the actual kwh consumed and the true cost.

posted by Technical_Chap | 4 weeks ago

I have and things are all good on that front. On the smart display the daily cost looks normal and after submitting a reading it was as expected, it’s just means the website and app are now useless. 

It looks as if the support staff have no access to the website info so can't see what you see, that makes it hard to support it.

posted by Potterton | 4 weeks ago
I have the same problem . My consumption graphs show useage of thousands of pounds each day . My IHD shows useage of about £2.00 a day.
Does anyone know why my smart meter readings online don't keep up with my useage ?

posted by majork9 | 4 weeks ago

why fit meters which you are supposed be able to read & i have an estamated  bill its rubish so much for smart meters

@Technical_Chap wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with my on-line account at the moment where the website and the phone app both say I am using a great deal of energy, so much so that it is not possible to do from a normal household. I would like to know if anyone else is having the same problems.

Over the last 7 days I have according to the website used £12,630 of energy. not bad for a mid-terrace.

I have solar (2 years) and have not had an issue with my bills before, the smart meters were installed 7 months ago and really I have had no problems, my bills have stayed around the same as before the smart meters. 

I have phoned and spoken to customer services and been told it will get sorted soon....

So, has anyone else had this type of issue?

Technical Chap

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago

Technology often goes wrong, why have cars that break down , why have phones with no signal. No, they are not all rubbish but sometimes they need patience.  Set your meters to half hour updates and check with SP if they are getting the updates.

posted by Rjon02 | 3 weeks ago
I am having the same problem and no matter how many times I contact about it I never get a sensible response. The whole point of getting a smart meter was so I didn't have to keep trying to get readings.

posted by Bob_B | 3 weeks ago

I thought I'd also add a comment here.

A Smart Meter for electricity was installed last week and apparently we are using > 60,000 kWh per day which reflects an apparent cost >£10,000 perday.  Clearly this is wrong and, more to the point, makes the whole purpose of having a Smart Meter installed rather pointless from the consumer's perspective.

posted by laneywaney | 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your email asking for meter readings.

I would like to point out that you do not supply our gas or electricity.

posted by robbie65 | 2 weeks ago

Hi there

Woke up this morning to find that my electricity smart meter (which was already installed in the property when I recently moved in) is not registering the useage of electricity I am using. I am also interested in getting a gas smart meter installed.

Please advise on what I should do, I was going to email Scottish Power but can't find an email address.

Robbie65