Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters not working due to network issues for7 months

posted by MarkC123 | 3 months ago

Hi We have had a smart meter for about 7 months but it seems that it is not sending any readings, i contacted SP and the guy on the chatline says that it is a very common problem and they are working to resolve it. does anyone know if this is the case are smart meters actually any good ? Seems as we were all pushed to get one they should have resolved network issues by now.

9 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Re: Smart Meters not working due to network issues for7 months
@MarkC123. Smart meters often fail to transmit, it is commonplace across all suppliers. There are two systems, transmission direct to supplier, and the more modern to DCC with onward sending to supplier. DCC handle the 4m smets2 meters while the 12m smets1 send direct to supplier. Integrating these two systems is causing a lot of meters to lose connections. So it is not an SP problem and it is very common. What a mess.
Highlighted

posted by PatV | 2 months ago

When the smart meter is not working does that affect our bill?

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

@PatV   If your meters (not the display unit) do not work and do not send readings to SP your bills will be estimated.  Meter readings control the size of your bills, without them you could be wrongly charged.   Go to your meters (not the display unit) and note their readings and send them in.

Highlighted

posted by Aledwyn1960 | 2 months ago

My Smart meter has not been working/displaying for past 8 months. How can we get this fixed?

Highlighted

@Aledwyn1960. If you mean the display unit just unplug it and put it away, most of them have stopped working. If you really mean the meters if they do not transmit you must take readings and send them in yourself to get accurate bills.
Highlighted

posted by JohnH | 2 months ago
It's in the interests of "SP" to solve this problem! After all their revinue & your payments are dependent on this system.
Solutions aren't being implemented. I suggest the "Regulator" be requested to intervene ASAP.
Highlighted

@JohnH   Trouble is it's an industry problem.  SP are still getting paid because they make estimates of readings.  As a customer you must take readings and send them in, exactly like we all used to do before smart meters came along.   That way you will get correct bills instead ofhigh estimates.  The industry is working to get more meters installed and to get them all working correctly, it would be the same if you switch away to another supplier, they all have the same issues.

Highlighted

posted by andecles | 2 months ago
It’s all well and good saying it will get fixed but the app fails to show my usage and I have noticed that the amount for May keeps changing the amount used even though we are 10 days out of the month.
Highlighted

posted by whiteowl | 2 months ago

@andecles If your app is not working why not try  your online account, it usually has all  your bills and other things. Well mine does, don't use any apps Or you can contact by email contact us@scottishpower.com.